Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold LR or Not to LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 AM

Leupold LR or Not to LR

Hi guys. Love the forum, just starting out here with the gear that will do something I've loved to do for a looong time.

My question is, on the weekend I purchased a .300UM, Rem 700 XCR, Boyds Pepper Laminate Stock (JRS style) and Talley Lightweights. Now as to the optics. I'm set on a Leupold. 4.5 - 14 X 40, with the Boone and Crockett Reticle. Thats my dream rifle. How important is the side parallax nob? Leupold makes the scope with and without the side parallax nob, how many people actually have used it? Own one? If you didn't have the side nob, would you notice a difference?

Thanks guys,
DAve
Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold LR or Not to LR

The side focus is nice as you can adjust the focus with disturbing the gun as much and breaking your fit to the gun while in position. I have a couple of scope with them and without , would I pay another $50-100 for just the side focus ? NO , but the LR scopes if I'm not mistaken also have more internal adjustment.

the 4.5-14 is a good scope but for the money their are better scope to be had.I like my Nikon Monarch 5.5-16x44mm better than any leupold in the same power class except for my old origonal MK-4 fixed 16 power.
Also for a little bit more money I.O.R makes some awsome glass thats a good bit brighter and clearer than any Leupold.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Do with the side focus. It is alot easier to dial out paralax in the pron position.

Example I was shooting some F-class last night with an older AO and it was a pain to reach while trying to get it set up .
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

If your shooting varies from real close range to long range a lot, while your actually hunting... then SF is worth it.

But if the only time you are shooting at ranges of ~100 yds is when you are working up load, then it's not worth it, plus the side focus is more difficult to set accurately... and the Leupold system has a fair amount of backlash... which means that you can set it, and after the recoil, you can have a bunch of parallax on the next shot.

I can't speak for other makers, but the Leupold SF is fussy, difficult to properly calibrate, not too accurate in the field - I'm not knocking them - I have three of the very top end Leupolds (street price of $1,300+) with SF.

Just pick the one that will work best.

The AO is more accurate, and much more repeatable.

If your field shooting ranges from 200 to 1000+, you can set an AO at 400 to 1000yds, and be fine for all of your shooting.

LRH member #23
Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Catshooter:

I didn't know that about the SF on the Leupold!

Brian
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Monarch w/ adjustable objective lense, and I just found out that flip up scope covers don't really work with this. If your focus is at 100 for quick shooting when you have the cap on the up position, then the cap will be upside down when you focus out to a different range such as 600 yards. Just my two cents.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

kodiakhntr,
One thing to remember that has not been mentioned if it is a LR with a side focus it has a 30mm tube if it has a AO it is a 1" tube.
UB