Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Gold Ring HD Spotting Scope Issues????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

Leupold Gold Ring HD Spotting Scope Issues????

I've got $1200 to spend on a spotter. After researching all the scopes in my price range the Leupold Gold Ring 20-40 X 60 HD was at the top of the list. None of the sporting goods stores in my area have one to look through. Last night at a Sportsman's Warehouse the optics dude said they had more problems with that scope than any other scope they carried so they stopped selling it. With all the positive reviews I've read and that fact that so many guides use the scope I find it hard to believe.

Have any of you that use, or have used the Leupold Scope had any issues? Would you buy the scope again? I've read reviews that stated the HD version was worth the extra money, what do you think about HD vs. Non HD?

I've done so much research and read so many reviews on spotting scopes I'm more confused now than when I started.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold Gold Ring HD Spotting Scope Issues????

The guide on my sheep hunt last year had one and really liked it. The HD version is the one to go with. We were spotting sheep several miles away to see if they were worth going after. The non HD scopes do not have the clarity to do this.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

I have had the non HD , since they came out. It gets a liitle fuzzy at top end, but size and weight are nice. I don't know how old 10+ anyway, horse, jeep, pack, off season scouting ,range. Mine has seen a ton of use. I wore rubber eye ring off. I would favor a HD UNIT WITH THE TMR reticule for my spotter.It is $400 for a retrofit in mine.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

I have looked through many spotting scopes, and I feel no need to upgrade from my leupold hd spotter.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

I think that maybe the dude was just anti-leupold or something. If your not going to lay down mega$$$ for a swaro or leica then I think its very hard to beat.
I got my Gold Ring HD 2 years ago and have been extremely pleased.
Besides if there was a problem who would give better customer service than leupy?

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

I really like mine. It's 5 or 6 years old with many hard miles on it. The only thing I don't like about it is I can find no reason to upgrade!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

We have a standard and an HD. They are both nice but the HD does have an edge and would be worth getting. To my eyes our Leica and Swaro beat them, but you pay for it.