Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold elevation Max'd out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sorry, I don't know.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold elevation Max'd out

Your low rings aren't the problem. If you could get the scope laying on the barrel it should have enough internal adjustment to get waaaay past 200 yards. Something is not lined up right, rings are backward...something.

You might check with Near Mfg. I'm sure Richard can cure your woes. He's not cheap, but then, he's the best...hands down. I'm running three of his Alpha Mounts now; one on a 30-378 AI, one on a R.E.P.R. in 308, and one on my SP-10. The man is an artist in the machine shop. His scope mounting systems are functional art.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Just on the off chance, take your scope off and put the rear ring on the front and the front on the rear and see if that don't help.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Can't change front an rear rings as it is a Ruger and they are already offset. I took off the Leupold rings and swapped them with a set of Rugers. They are a little higher.
Put a laser bore sight on it and got it lined up, just need to shoot it.

Anyone know at 10 paces (in the garage) what distance the reticle should be from the laser dot? My ballistic program says -1.5 for a 200 yard zero at 0 yards. I did it a 1.5 inches high vice low (makes sense it would be low as bullet is still traveling up). If that is the case, I still do not have the elevation I need to level the reticle before it's max'd.

I fear something is wrong with the optic. No way with over 30 minutes, I should be at max at 100 yards. Trying to not spend the money on a base and rings.

Guns, some guys like tatoos, some Harley's..Either way they make you poor what ever your hobby.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yes, it seems like a large misalignment to me as well. You can rule out the scope by determining the reticle travel from the optical zero. Do this by removing the scope and finding the optical zero using the mirror method (use the search function). Then count the clicks as you rotate the reticle in the bullet up direction until the reticle stops moving. If that adjustment range is approximately half of the total adjustment range for that model scope, then your scope is not the problem.

The problem would then be the receiver and/or barrel. Most likely the barrel is mounted crooked in the receiver (barrel pointed down). The rifle bore could also be bent. The best solution would be an adapter base to a Weaver ring system, as discussed above.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent