Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold CDS M1 Dial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

10" at 475 yds is equivalent to almost 2" at 100 yds. That would be a big aiming error for any experienced rifleman. Seems unlikely.

That said I never draw any conclusions from a single shot. I always fire a 3-5 shot group to check zero.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Re: Leupold CDS M1 Dial

Update after a long range session. I finally trust the custom dial but it took awhile and a few college tries to get it right.

The dial has a setup for 100 yard zero but this seems to leave too much margin for error, to simply sight in at 100 then bang away accurately at farther distances. I am convinced there is a minor tolerance for error at 100 that does not get exposed until shot at longer distances. Someone with more LR experience can probably explain in better detail but it seemed apparent to me. With that said, I sighted my rifle in at 300 yards with the 300 mark and set it. After doing this, I shot it at distances from 100-500 and it worked rather well. The 100 yard zero is approximately 3/4" high but I can live with that. It fell right in line after that to 500.