Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold CDS ? How many MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold CDS ? How many MOA?

OK, so do you have to buy the whole scope, or can I buy just the turrets without a zero-stop? I already have a VX-III, 4.5-14x40 A/0 Im having done.

Either way Im gonna send it in to Leupold for a new B&C reticle, so I may as well have them put turrets on too. I wanted CDS for the same low pro benefits you stated, and the target turrets look to be a pain in the butt with the whole- cap on/cap off/ oh crap I left the cap where I shot from....... but The M-1's are pretty bitchen. I just wish they didnt stick up so dang high. They look too clunky and bulky and also look too easily moved by brush. I dunno. Ill figure it out sooner or later I guess. I want them calibrated for sure. If I change elevation its super easy to adjust I could just "dial 775yds + 2 clicks, or less 2 clicks etc" run it thru JBM and get an idea, and confirm it before I go hunt when I get to my area.
Range cards suck. Theyre just 1 more thing to pack around. All of my rifles wear thier own scopes, so Id rather be cal/load specific.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 AM

The turret itself does not have the zero stop. The stop is in the Cap that goes on the turret and is nothing more than what looks to be a tiny stainless ball bearing that catches a high spot on the turret to stop it. I don't see why you couldn't get a calibrated cap without the ball stop. They may not calibrate it past 1 turn, but you could easily mark it yourself if you had to, or start counting clicks once you go past 1 full rotation. I carry a range card anyway for wind and have it taped to the gun, or have it strapped to the side of the rangefinder. Leupold to me that they could add the CDS to any VX-1,-2, or -3, provided they were built sometime, I think, after 1989. So it sounds like you are good to go.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

winmag
what is the specs on this gun you are going to put this
Caliber, bullet, velocity ect
Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Model-70 Winchester,(only 24" barrel) 300wby, handloads -180gr accubond at 3085fps (thats as fast as I can load em with IMR4831)at 3800ft.
I figure I can always have my genaric calibrated turrets to this load and adjust the dial for less drop at higher elevation. I typically elk hunt at 3500-8500ft. at -15deg to 40deg agv. I bear hunt at about 3800 ft but it can be 115deg in Hells Canyon in August so dial a little less drop for temp. I deer hunt (if I ever draw a tag 0tags for 7years currently) between 3000-and-6000ft.
I shoot coyotes at all ranges and elevations and temps as targets of opportunity
Ill be installing a brake on this little bugger as soon as I get the $ but I dont anticipate it slowing the bullet down enough to compensate on the turret.
Maybe the M-1's are a better route I dont know. I just dont like the MOA if I can dial to a listed yardage for my caliber and speed etc and fudge according to elevation, and temp etc.
Quite honestly Im not anywhere near good enough at doping the wind to shoot past 6-800yds on an elk anyway, letalone running out of energy there on out anyway. Ill sure try on a coyote tho. and practice alot on PAPER as far as I can dial and dope wind close enough to come close

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

I just played with a CDS today and with the elevation adjustment all the way down I got 4 or 5 rev. on it. 15moaX4 = 60moa up. I know for $550 this is a pretty interesting little scope. I am pretty sure at this point one will be tried out on my light carry 260 being built at this time.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 09-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

its a awsome scope on the right gun
we just finished a remington cdl in 270 wsm
this gun just killed a 26 in 4 point at 725 yards
the bullet was recovered just under the hide on the oppisite side
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

Another way to do this that has not been brought up is
using the reticle and a accubond load for quick shots and the turret