Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold CDS ? How many MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Leupold CDS ? How many MOA?

For those of you with a CDS Turret, or those that have experience with them,
Approximately, How many MOA elevation do you get?
Ive talked to Leupold about sending in my VX-III 4.5-14x40A/O (1 inch tube)to get a B&C reticle, as well as CDS turrets for my 300wby. I like having the close stuff covered w/o having to mess with the scope, but the combo sounds like a dream if I can get enough MOA elevation to make it worth while. But I didnt ask how many MOA elevation it would come back with.

Is it capable of more than 1 revolution of the turret?

Will I be able to dial come ups close to 1k, or am I stuck with a turret that makes 1 revolution and stops around 700 +_- yds? Im not fooling myself thinking Im gonna whack anything more than coyotes and targets past 700ish anyway, but I dont want to bother with CDS turrets if I can only dial up 200yards more than my B&C reticle. Not cost effective IMO.

How many MOA in 1 revolution of the turret?

The scope specs say 116moa elevation and 116 moa windage....... That sure doesnt sound right to me. I figure divided by half then divide the answer by four and thats the approx ttl of moa in 1 direction. This is assuming that the sight in is right at true 0............uh...ya.........
Anybody got any advise?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 09-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold CDS ? How many MOA?

BTT. hoping for some input.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

I might have some helpful info for you Tj. I am pretty sure its just like a normal scope my dad has one and I think the way it will work is you will have only one revolution of marked graduations on your turret. However you can make yourself a drop chart and count clicks past your highest yardage mark. then you can go even further with tapered bases obviously. But the CDS turret is short so theres only room for one row of numbers... does that help?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Winmag
I have several leupold scopes
My newest one is a vx III 6.5 x20X50 which the custom shop put the M1 turrets on. Awsome set up.
My 300 WSm has the same scope as you with the BC reticle in it.
It will be going in for a CDS turrets after hunting season
My daughters 25-06 has the 6.5x20x50 with the varmit hunters reticle
It will be going in for a M1 turrets after hunting season(my shooting buddies gun/scope is exactly the same and will be going in as well)
This past summer I have been helping a friend build a Remington CDL in 270 WSM
He put the 4.5x14 CDS scope on it Sunday he shot a 26.5 in 4 point at 740 yards
The way I understand it if you get the custom cds knobs they have stops in it limiting it to one turn the one that come stock do not have the stops.
I would not want the custom ones unless you are going to have a differant turret for each altitude.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. Im gonna call the custom shop tomorrow and ask them a few questions BEFORE I send it in for both reticle and CDS. I may have to wind up doing reticle now, and save my pennies for upgraded turrets later. Depending on cost. Ill let ya know what they say.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Definitely let us know I have thought several times that would be an awesome set p. I have wondered though what if you could tune the power perfectly then have the dial calibrated so that your clicking from 500 up and you use the top of your bottom post (your 500 yard mark) as your aiming point once you start dialing so that you get more out of it??? Any thoughts on that. Just an idea.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Oh ya Ive thgought of that too. But You would have to know exactly how many MOA your 500yd stadia line was set at, and dial from there. Forget about doing that in your head, but a turret calibrated from your 500yd pin would be bitchen! Ill ask em tomorrow. Ill write down all the questions so I dont forget any this time.

By the way you should post that group from your Lapua Mike. Nice shootin!