Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which Leupold to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Which Leupold to buy?

I have a new .280AI being biult and it will be finished in about 2 weeks. I what to put a Leupold 3.5-10x40 on it and need to know which of the "vari"ants of the vari-x III/ V-III / VX-III is the better scope. Dont know know why they had to go and change the model so many times? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ..........Randy
Old 06-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which Leupold to buy?

According to Leupold the "NEW VAR lll" scopes are superseding the old Var lll models. Better glass and adjustments.

I should have one of the new models here shortly.
-----------
Zod
Old 06-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Don't know know why they had to go and change the model so many times?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion is that Leupold is reacting to market forces. European and Japanese scope builders have improved their scopes to include Eyepiece diopter adjustment, side parallax adjustment, engraved reticles, lit reticles, Mildots, tactical scope physical enhancements, better coatings, etc, etc. and the "BIG L" is just reacting to this in an effort to stay competitive.

I think in general the entire shooting public is benefiting by this even as scope prices increase to reflect these changes.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

QUOTE- "need to know which of the "vari"ants of the vari-x III/ V-III / VX-III is the better scope"

Well first you can throw out the V-III, since there is no such thing. So now you are down to the old Vari-X III and the new VX-III. With the new VX-III's, I have hear some positives but I have also hear some negatives. Many people believe that the new VX-III is no different optically than the old Vari-X III. The new VX-III does have a few new features, such as finger adjustable windage and elevation knobs and lockable fast focus eyepiece. Is this a big advantage, personal preference, but my opinion is no. If you are looking at the Leupold line, I believe the VX-II is one of the better buys. They have been upgraded for 2004 will multicoat 4 on all lenses, which makes them basically the old Vari-X III models with the VX-II name on them. One problem with them is they do not come in the power range that you are looking at. They come in the basic 3-9 and 4-12. Just something to think about before your purchase.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 AM

I too am having a 280AI built. It should be done in two weeks as well. Maybe the same gunsmith is selling us the same gun. Just kidding. I am going to go with the 4.5x14x50 Long Range model. It seems to be an overkill, but that is what my gunsmith thinks is best. He said if you can't get the 50mm then the 40mm would work fine. I know that everyone likes the European makes but this scope is going to cost me $495.00 for a VX-3 4.5x14x50 LR with Duplex Reticle. The others that they are comparing would cost me almost twice that. I do agree with the above thread noting that there is very little difference and bang for the buck, VX-2 is a good solid scope. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

...go with the VX III... just pick the power range of your choice, depending on the type of terrain you'll be hunting... 50mm obj is very popular but the 40mm gives a nice low profile... whatever makes the best rifle profile overall... Larry
Old 06-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

I have a new VX III and have seen a big difference in low light conditions over the VariX III. VX III now compares to my Swarovski scopes. Youe 3.5 X 10 is a good choice, but don't overlook the 2.5 X 8. Much smaller and lighter. Might look better on your rifle and you can hunt and hit with this variable. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]