Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

So I skoot a .243AI 105 Berger at 3185 I live and hunt at about 5000 ft elevation

What happens if I want to hunt at 8000 ft................I have no intention of changing my load ever .................but what about elevation changes or humidity changes.........................?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

So they turrents that are calibrated for one load will get you ball park at the given environment you have them made for. If you happen to do anything to change muzzle velocity that turrent will be wrong, how much wrong you are willing to live with. The environment change will also matter but little changes are not as important. What you are shooting, where you are hunting/practicing and what is your acceptable margin of error? Four inches of error on a elk is nothing, on a PD you will have a clean miss.

I help someone setup a 300 RUM for elk out to 600 with a turrent. He hunts one specific area and we set it up for average temp during hunting season. We used chrono numbers shot at that temp range. I loaded him 300 rounds of ammo that are as close to the same as possible. I would bet that will last him at least 10 years of hunting.

I prefer to just use a ballistic program and then dial the "clicks" for that specific situation.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

A ballistic program sound like the sain thing to do..............buying a turrent for a certain elevation temp sound like the isane thing to do............

So one day your hunting and the temp is 45 degrees two days later it drops to -10 then your screwed.

so does temp affect ballistic's also. If you leave with a program for the elevation of the area you will be hunting in and the expected temp and then the temp drops 40 degrees ...............is that going to be a big thing?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Powders have come a long ways and choosing one that is as temp stable as possible is Paramount. But temp changes will change point of impact regardless because along with temp change you have other atmospheric changes well. Really the best way to know what your rifle and load will do during temp and atmospheric changes is to shoot and practice in all conditions and keep a log book. I keep a log and record date, time of day, temp and wind speed and direction. Get to know your rifle and what it does and you will be fine.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

That's great advise thanks.............................I will do that.