Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

Since im new to all of this help me understand the concept of Long Range Reticle adjustment Knobs. I own a Leupold Var 3 4.5-14 x40 scope The reticle knobs are covered and have a 1/4 adjustment. I see that long range rifles often have scopes that have tall turrent reticle adjustments is that somting you order or is that an after market. Not sure of the terminology but what are turrents? Can I turn my Leupold into a long range scope ? Or would it be better to start with an other scope that is built for Long Range
What do you prefer adjusting range with elevation turrents or reticles like the Holland advanced reticle technology......................

some what confused
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

Leupold | Kenton Industries
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

You never adjust the reticle, you adjust the image elevation and windage via their respective turrets. The reticle is the superimposed cross lines, or BDC holdovers or hash marks you see when you look into the ocular.

If you scope don't have adjustable parallelax (turret on the left side) or in the case of an AO (adjustable Objective) scope, on the front bell, might as well buy a scope with adjustable parallelax because industry standard on fixed scopes is 100 yards. That don't work.

Finally, it's preferrrable to have it on the left side versus out front because it's handy to adjust whereas out front is a PITA.

I know, I have an older Leupy Boone and Crockett reticle thats an AO. It's a nice. clear long range scope but a royal PITA to dial parallelax on.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

Thanks this is all new language to me........................that makes sence.

What would be a quality scope that meant what you describe?

I always wondered if the exposed Turrents on the NF scopes are they weather proof can you get them wet..................
Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

NF is sealed and has parallax as well as illumination if you want. There may one or two guys that bash NF but you will get a 99.9% endorsement for them around here.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

I hear a lot about NF Huskemaw But it seems like no one uses the Leupold MK4 's LR Scopes Is there a reason?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

I went with Kenton on the same scope you have. Send them your scope with all the required info. (velocity, temp. etc. etc.). They do an excellent job. Works perfect. Remember then your scope will be sighted in for one particular load. But, if you should want to get rid of the elevation turret later on you just take it off and your scope is back to original.