Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupald STD bases and Burris rings w/ incerts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Leupald STD bases and Burris rings w/ incerts.

Just put a set of these on my 300 and I noticed the front burris ring twisted into the leupald base real easy (too easily by finger). Is that normal?
I tried to use a sliver of aluminum as a washer to tighten this up. Any better suggestions out there?
I used to re-load but now I "hand-load".
-- Well, at least I try --

Unread 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
thats no good !! , if it twist in easly then its not seating up well and will give you head achs later down the road. This is pretty common actualy , I like the dual dove tail desgine as it is very strong by desgine but I make some modifications to mine.

Afte I get my rings set in the base I unscrew the base leaving the ring attached to the base and and I'll make a smlaa tig weld on the inside of the base welding the ring to the base. On my own guns I go a step further and run one small bead all the way around the outside of the base when the ring seat down on it , this make for a one piece ring/base setup.

In you situation , you might be able to shim it like you did with the aluminum but you better use some sort of steel , aluminum is a bad shim material , I have used a set of feeler guages (found at any auto part store) a few time to make a small shim for somthing their make fron strong steel and will last alot longer. I would also fill the recess in the bottom of the base with some sort of good bedding material like Devcon liquid steel.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe