Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica's New Geovid HD-B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 PM

Re: Leica's New Geovid HD-B

Update: Leica came through and sent me a new pair rather than making me wait for the pair I had to be repaired. Haven't had a chance to hunt with them. Will post a review as soon as I get a chance. I hope they are as good as everything that I read.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member

I just got my pair. Glass seems spectacular to me.

Ranging to this point has not been impressive IMO. Haven't been able to get a reading past 1200 yards on anything, and nothing past 600 yards when trying to range trees and hillsides. Going to call Leica and see what they say.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwh723 View Post
I just got my pair. Glass seems spectacular to me.

Ranging to this point has not been impressive IMO. Haven't been able to get a reading past 1200 yards on anything, and nothing past 600 yards when trying to range trees and hillsides. Going to call Leica and see what they say.
Sounds like something is wrong. I have had a pair since around November and mine always range to 1200 on grass and 1300 on trees when unsupported with bright sun. If I range into the shadows of trees off a support I can normally get to a mile. After the sun goes down I can get past 2000 if there is no dust or smoke in the air.

Since these things are built by hand they could have someone that makes mistakes. The good thing is when you contact them they will know who worked on your binos and they can fix things on the production end and might just trade you for a new pair.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Has anyone used the SD card custom ballistics program paired with a custom dial turret out to 750-1000yds? Good/Bad??
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Yes I have. I programed my 7 LRM and my 6.5x284 ballistics to a SD card (seperate cards, can only put one program per card)

Mine works great. Just remember, garbage in, garbage out. You have to use the Leica G7 program which only lets you use the G1 ballistics info to program the card. But you can play with the velocity or BC to get your impact points to match your turrets (much like building a turret) and once it is programed you are done. Only took me about 5 to 10 minutes per card to set it up initally.

I have had zero issues with my HD-B. Optics are excellent, have had no issues ranging.

Note that the unit only corrects for your ballistics program out to 1,000 yards. But that is FINE with me. I go this unit for hunting and while I may shoot out past 1,000 yards at steel I personally don't shoot past 1,000 yards out hunting.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM

I'm right with you on taking shots on game past 1,000yds.

In regards to the zero issue what exactly were the problems and were you able to correct? If so how difficult? I had read in earlier posts that a guy had to change his turret zero from 280yds to 200 or 300yds to match the Leica G7 ballistics program.

I'm currently having a .338 Norma built and plan to have a 5.5-25x Night Force w/custom turret mounted my G7 Gunwerks. The BR2 by them has a solid rep but if the Leica can do just as good and combine the Bino/range finder/ballistics program into 1 package I'm sold.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

In the GSeven ballistic program you can either use the G1 BCfor your bullet or the G7 BC for your bullet to develop your turret/program. But on the Leica GSeven program, you can onlyuse a G1 BC for your bullet.

I had used the G7 BC to develop my turret. I chrono my load then shoot my rifle at 300,400, 500, etc. and record the MOA turret settings. I then input my data (velocity, BC,temperature, etc) into the GSeven ballistic program and run the program. I then check to see if their impact pointsmatch my MOA turret settings at all of the distances that I shot at. They usually do not match exactly. But you can either change the velocityslightly or change the BC slightly in the program to get a ballistic programthat matches your bullets impact points at each of the distances that you haveshot. Gunwerks has a YouTube video thatexplains how to do this but I think this explains it. You just change the BC or velocity slightly,rerun the program and compare to your known impact points. You keep doing this until it matches.

You do the same thing on the Leica program. (Which is theGunWerks GSeven program) you put in your G1 BC (they do not have an option fora G7 program) velocity, etc. that you have for your turret/load and it willshow you what the turret settings will be for all the various yardages. If it does not match your turret settings(which you know to be true since you have shot and recorded them) you “tweek”either the velocity or the BC to the point that all of your turret settingsmatch the program.

All of this establishes the “base line” for theprogram. Once in the bino/rangefinder astemperature, altitude/angle, etc. changes, it will change your impact yardage readout.

I have tried my Leica at various extreme angles, distances, temperatures and have found the corrected distances to be very accurate.