Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica's New Geovid HD-B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leica's New Geovid HD-B

25.61"Hg is simple absolute pressure(this is good)
29.75"Hg is sea level adjusted pressure, given your input of 4100ft Altitude, assumption of standard altitude temperature(44.4degF), and binocular measure of 25.6"Hg absolute.

Altitude readings derived from either would be dependent on temperature.

My conern is about the use of measured pressure toward calculation of air density within the Geovid.
When we start converting to and back converting from altitude, and then applying results in common ballistic software, the probabilty of errors goes up.
The Geovid solution just needs to be validated against the best of today's ballistic software.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

I have 2 sets of the new Leica's, a CRF 1600-B, 2 sets of EL Range's and a set of Zeiss RF's, that I have been testing extensively for the last few weeks.

In a nutshell the new Leica's rangefinder is no better than the CRF1600-B in most conditions, and way, way behind the Swaro and the Zeiss in useful rangefinding ability. In the usual daytime hunting conditions to the sort of non reflective targets we have in the field, they have struggled to consistently get 1100 to 1200 yards. The Swaro's and the RF's have blitzed the usual 1500 yards plus at the same time. The Leica's range fast when they actually get a range, but if you want something for shooting beyond 1000 yards in most conditions, these new Leica's will be a disappointment. I'm not interested in how far they will range to a refelective road sign, or in the dark. I want to know how reliable they will be in my usual daytime hunting conditions. Either I have 2 dud sets, which seems unlikely, or they are still significantly behind their competitors.
They still round off to the closest MOA as someone said earlier - plain stupid!
And too many of the important inputs like sight height cannot be varied. The ballistic solution is really only useful to 600 or 800 yards or so, before the potential error gets too great.
They do not display both LOS and EHR at the same time as the Swaro's do, and you need to remember at all times how you have it programmed or there's potential for a stuff up.
This is how they are best used though I feel, with a custom dial graduated in yards, and using the EHR feature. This will work fine to 600, and to 800 if you're aware of the environmental extremes that will cause too much error. But then they are no better than the Swaro's at this. The ballistic readout was where Leica could have gone into the lead, but they got it wrong, again. The Europeans seem to struggle understanding ballistics and the way we use our dial up scopes.
They are also heavier and bulkier than the Swaros.

On the plus side they are very good optically, a touch above the Swaro's on the daytime resolution test. They do range much closer than the Swaro's 30 yards, so are much more useful to a bow hunter.
They are better in light rain, low cloud and mist than the CRF 1600 which has always been a fault of all the Leica's, but they are still way behind the competition.

That's about my thoughts with the new Leica's so far if anyone is interested.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 AM

I just finished a season of hunting with the 10x42 HD-B and constantly comparing them to the swarovision 10x42 EL. I sent them straight back to Leica after the season because the optical performance was definitively below that of the Swarovski. I talked to Leica today, and they are changing out the optical system. unfortunately, this will take at least 6 weeks because, as I was told by the technician, they have been getting a lot of them sent back for the same problem. Very disappointing for 3K.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

What do you mean by "optical performance"?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM

The swarovski's had a much brighter crisper clearer picture. When I compared them side by side as the sun was going down, the Leicas felt like they were $1k binos, not $3k binos. The Leicas also had a very annoying green tint to the entire sight picture. The leicas also had a fuzziness to them that was non existent in the swarovskis. At dusk in south texas with clear skies I was able to use the swarovskis for a solid 10 to 20 minutes longer than the leicas and still make out exceptional detail. Overall, optically, they just did not perform even close to the swarovskis which was very disappointing because everything I had read indicated that they should exceed everything on the market.

When I spoke with the leica technician that had my binos in her hand, she admitted that there was a problem, that "many" of the HD-Bs have had this problem and that it would take at least 6 weeks to get them repaired because the "optical system" was on back order. All the way around, very disappointed. If they fix my binos and they do better than my swarovskis, I think they will be my go to bino, but that is a big if.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Interesting. I must have got lucky and recieved a pair that does not have issues. I have a set of the Leica 10x42 HD-B's that I have had for about 3 months now and a set of the Swaro 10x42 EL's that I have had for a couple of years and used the Leica's the last month of hunting season on a couple of elk hunts. My hunting partner used my Swaro's and we swapped back and forth several times to compare the two during various stages of light (and even once in the dark under a full moon) and could not tell any difference.

I personally like the Leica's much better. I never did like how the Swaro's had the target circle in the right eye and the read out in the left eye. For me, it never did feel right, was hard to be sure you were on target to get accurate readings using two eyes.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

you know there may indeed be something wrong at leica. its been a year since these have been announced and they still can't get them made and on store shelves. The had some late in the summer but the supply was a joke. this has to be hurting them. I would probably have bought some already but there just isn't enough out there that I can get a good deal on.

the other thing is while I need to look through some some more, keep in mind I wear glasses. I am not sure if its the porro prism deal or what but it just seems harder to get an image though these, its kinda almost like when you put up binoculars to your face and the hidge is too wide. it seems more difficult to get that perfect round circle view through them. I am not sure if its this or the view kinda seems oval shaped with the wider part being horizontal. thats not a bad think necessarily but just harder to get used to. I have to admit looking through them leaves me less enthusiastic about buying some, maybe its just how they fit my eyes. I have no problem with the older geovid hd's I have been using them for years.