Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica's New Geovid HD-B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leica's New Geovid HD-B

Wish I could try them for a day to see if I like them. Hard to spend 3 grand um.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSteinle View Post
Wish I could try them for a day to see if I like them. Hard to spend 3 grand um.
exactly!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Anyone want to loan a pair? I'll pay money
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Some questions for someone that owns a pair or has used them:

Is the readout in one lens or in two? The Swaro's have the target in the right lens and the readout of the distance in the left eye. The rangefinding Leica's have both the target squre and the readout in the right eye but have not seen the HD-B's.

Does the readout show measured yards and corrected range at the same time or do you have to "click" to another readout to get different readings?

I am also trying to figure out how you would use this if you are using a turret calibrated for your rifle, not sure I understand. If it gives you MOA to your shot, not corrected yardage?

Thanks!

Last edited by c-ne-elk; 11-13-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-ne-elk View Post
Some questions for someone that owns a pair or has used them:

Is the readout in one lens or in two? The Swaro's have the target in the right lens and the readout of the distance in the left eye. The rangefinding Leica's have both the target squre and the readout in the right eye but have not seen the HD-B's.

Does the readout show measured yards and corrected range at the same time or do you have to "click" to another readout to get different readings?

I am also trying to figure out how you would use this if you are using a turret calibrated for your rifle, not sure I understand. If it gives you MOA to your shot, not corrected yardage?

Thanks!
Everything is in the right hand barrel as usual. One click gets the reticle, and a second gets you the line of sight distance, which is followed (automatically) by whatever type of ballistic correction has been specified.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Doug! I was able to find the HD-B owners manual on line and download it and read it. I now understand how it works much better. I now see how it can work with custom turrets, once you have your data entered it will give you the corrected yardage and you would dial that yardage in.

The other thing I did was go to the Leica/G7 Ballistic Calculator to see how you input your data one thing that I don't understand is that you only can input bullet weight, muzzle velocity, Bullet BC and zero range. For altitude and temperature, it is measured by the Geovid's. That's great for once it is calibrated but you first need a base line.

It appears to me that the only way to get that base line will be to input the data on a day where your range temperature matches what your turret is calibrated for? After that I can see how it would correct for it.

Any input from anyone on the initial setup?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-ne-elk View Post
Thanks Doug! I was able to find the HD-B owners manual on line and download it and read it. I now understand how it works much better. I now see how it can work with custom turrets, once you have your data entered it will give you the corrected yardage and you would dial that yardage in.

The other thing I did was go to the Leica/G7 Ballistic Calculator to see how you input your data one thing that I don't understand is that you only can input bullet weight, muzzle velocity, Bullet BC and zero range. For altitude and temperature, it is measured by the Geovid's. That's great for once it is calibrated but you first need a base line.

It appears to me that the only way to get that base line will be to input the data on a day where your range temperature matches what your turret is calibrated for? After that I can see how it would correct for it.

Any input from anyone on the initial setup?
the baseline would be your 100 or 200 yard zero, conditions will not change enough to alter these enough to worry about. just like when you go to JBM or any other ballistic calculator you enter in altitude and temp. instead of entering these values with the leicas it adjusts it to current conditions.

I am pretty surprised leica has been so slow getting these units on store shelves also in field use by people who really know what these units aught to do is totally lacking. I have heard no review by anyone who is a true long range shooter. I want to buy some but haven't been able to as there are just not enough of them out yet. I wonder if leica is having issues with production??