Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica Or Zeiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Leica Or Zeiss

I am considering a step up in spotting scopes, Gr8tful Doug has the best prices I can find for the Leica 62mm and Zeiss 65mm. Any opinions between the two would be aprreciated.

Shortmag3
Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leica Or Zeiss

I compared them at Bass Pro Shops. Then I bought the Swarovski. The Leica was the darkest, Zeiss had the most glare, and the Swarovski was just better.

I compared by looking in dark shadows and crevices to see which gathered the best light. Then I looked in the bright sunny areas to see how they dealt with glare.

The Swarovski won in each category.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

No offence intended, but making statements about optical performance by looking at optics in a sporting goods store is not the correct method... See if you can talk them outside right at dusk... then evaluate them. That is not always possible, but is a much better judge of performance. NJS
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Looking in dark shadows 75 yards away and looking into the desert during the day is the best way to test the extremes. I've been a high end glass user for 23 years. I own high end Leica photography equipment, Swarovski binos, spotting scope, rifle scopes, and Zeiss rifle scopes. For light gathering and no glare, I haven't seen anything that compares to the Swarovski. That does not mean there isn't any, I just haven't found it yet. I am not partial to any brand, I compare performance.
For color rendering, Leica is best. That is why bird watchers and photographers chose Leica.
Zeiss is very bright, but often too bright with glare.
Ideally, we would be able to borrow all three scopes to compare, but the retailers won't let us. So set them up in the store and start looking into the darkest corners in the ceiling, you will see differences in the scopes. My first Swarovski purchase in 1985 was a 1.5 to 6 x 42 w 30mm tube. The salesman and I went outside and I looked through the darkened doorways of other businesses to compare the light gathering of the scopes. I could see details on the walls in the shadows through Swarovski where the other scopes just showed black shadows. You don't need to take them out to the forest to compare.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

I have an old Leica 77 Televid 20-60X bought used years ago for spotting 6mm holes at 600 yds. Couple months ago, I bought a Zeiss Diascope 85 20-60X. I honestly cannot tell a bit of difference between them. If conditions are ideal, bullet holes at that distance can be clearly observed. In poor conditions (mirage, glare, etc.) no scopes perform well. Another factor is condition of your eyes. Macular degeneration will reduce your ability to discern details at extreme distances.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi,

go with a swarovski or a Kowa (top of top but heavier) I get one.

Terry
Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of Kowa, here is an article on the new 883:

AccurateShooter.com Daily Bulletin