Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica, what do we want them to manufacture?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

Leica, what do we want them to manufacture?

Here is your chance to voice your wishes and thoughts about what one of the worlds major optics companies should produce in the future. I have been invited to attend an innovations meeting at Leice, Solms Germany on 15th Feb.
" we need your knowhow " is what i was told.
I propose to put a presentation together, based on comments, wishes, thoughts and experiences gathered by users of optics within several different shooting disciplins and applications, LRH, Mil & LE. Target sports etc and deliver it to Leica at this meeting.
So guys.
what do you want with regards to bino's, rangefinders, spotting scopes and rifle scopes. ?
Pete
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leica, what do we want them to manufacture?

Put a reticle in their excellent rangefinding binoculars and spotting scope.
5 MIL increments between hashmarks - doesnt obscure view, but good enough to put shooters field of view on target.

Major PIA for me; talking shooter on target when there aren't any good reference points in the terrain.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

My dream pair of binoculars would be VERY similar to the BRF's just smaller and lighter, say 8x30 or 8x32 or 10x30 or 10x32 and they would range farther than 1300 yards, say 1500-2000 yards with angle compensation? Current optical qualities would suffice but if they were on par with the EL line by Swarovski that would make them perfect.

That would be the ultimate binocular for me. I am needing a pair of light weight binos with an LRF for sheephunting as I could carry 1 unit vs 2. Right now I can either buy the BRF from Leica that weight 32 oz. or a small pair of EL's that weigh 21 oz and have a light weight LRF which enables me to range farther yet I am still at 32 oz. What is described above would be a dream. Cost being around 2500 bucks is not an issue.

In short, combine the Swarovski EL 8 or 10x32 with the swaro laser guide with a simple angle correction and you would have an unbeatable bino system.

Thanks for the opprotunity to dream!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,
Ask them to either scale down the Vector or make one that would retail for 2-2500 bucks with 1500 yard performance assured regardless of light conditions, reflectivity, fox or moose. Then ask them to put a chip inside that would have a variety of ballistics info that could be selected as the critter is lasered. Even if it is a bit generic it would be a good reminder that your seven hundred yard drop is 19 moa. I think Leupold is doing something like that in a new unit. Then ask them to ship the laser with a field rest that will work from prone, as a window-mount and maybe it could scratch a person's back as required.

Want to get crazier. How about some magic chip inside the unit that would detect wind and mirage and determine direction and strength. Naturally it would have on board sensors to detect wind speed and direction at the firing position, as well as temps and rel. humidity etc. Then it would apply that info to your trajectory info and send at the touch of a button to your rifle scope - like FireWire or whatever the hell they call it. When that data, distance, drop and drift got to the scope the aiming mark would move to the appropriate position since the scope also has your downrange trajectories in its chip. Scope would actually fire the rifle when the aiming mark is stable and on target - after you have set a button to tell the scope what the target is after you have been on it for a few seconds. Aiming mark is a floating dot or X, who cares, can be intensified, changed to suit target, background of course. Once a target is identified the aiming mark would follow it if it moves, compensate for running of course. Make mine in Realtree camo, complete with a lifetime battery-pack [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

They are lucky to have you on their team.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
SPONSOR

They had better match the Swaro in ranging capability or their rangefinder sales are going to take a major hit.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:59 PM

Ditto what Meichele said. He's right on for my needs as well. M.H.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Ian. We need them to update their rangefinders to 1500 yards or more in any condition. Keep the small aiming box though and the small size and weight. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and give us a bleepin threaded tripod adapter on it instead of that mickey mouse plastic wrap-around thingy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] And no more silvery finishes on the spotters!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.