Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica or swaroski or zeiss spotting scope's which one best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Leica or swaroski or zeiss spotting scope's which one best?

I was thinking of buying a swaro HD 85mm.But I was wondering what people on here thought?, Because I know that there are people on here with alot of experience and knowledge with these spotting scope's.Could I get some help please?I'll be useing it for hunting and shooting.

Last edited by enigma; 08-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leica or swaroski or zeiss spotting scope's which one best?

IMO Swarovski has the best spotter on the market. But I must confess, Ive never seen or looked thru a Leica, or Zeiss spotter. I love Leica rangefinders, and Zeiss rifle scopes, and have looked thru plenty of them both, but never seen either Ziess or Leica spotter.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I was thinking of buying a swaro HD 85mm.But I was wondering what people on here thought?, Because I know that there are people on here with alot of experience and knowledge with these spotting scope's.Could I get some help please?I'll be useing it for hunting and shooting.
You'd be happy with either. I was told by owner of a company that sells only European optics (new and used) that Zeiss edged the others a bit. I did a side by side a while ago of binocs going back and forth between the new Zeiss and the top Leica and I had to look quite a while to see the subtle differences. I concluded that the Leica had a slightly "warmer" tone and was very pleasant to look through and could see "into" shaded areas with more definition, but to my eyes the Zeiss was definitely brighter, although they had a "flatter" field. I went with Zeiss just for the brightness but liked the Leicas a lot. Darrell Holland had a Leica for himself at his school. You can't go wrong with either or with Swarovskis. They are all very close when you get to that level. 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

I went with the swaro for the wide angle zoom eyepiece. IMO you gotta have wide angle especially for hunting! and leica's wide angle zoom at 1000 bucks seemed outrageous. Got a ever so slightly used ATS 80 HD off ebay for 1100 bucks and got the 25-50 eyepiece and dont see how it can possibly get any better than the swaro!
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

swaro HD is the what i would get. but 85mm is big if your going to care it far. I have a KOWA 85mm with 20x60 lens and love it for shooting but way to big to care. plan on getting a swaro hd 65mm soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

All three are great scopes, pretty much the best of the best. Everyones eyes are different so the only way to truelly know is spend some time behind each and decide what your eyes like. BUT.....notice I said "pretty much". IMHO there IS a better spotter than all three. You are doing yourself an extreme disservice if you dont look at a Kowa Prominar TSN-660 or TSN-880 series scope. I have TSN-884 with the 20-60x zoom and a 20x(I think) long eye relief. I have been using it for 2 years now and I can honestly say it has changed my hunting and shooting life. Last year I found more elk than I have ever seen in a single season by tripple. The color and deffinition is simply amazing! Brightness is unreal. My one and only complaint is I wish they would come out with a 15X superwide eyepiece that would even be brighter and provide a very big viewing area. When optics are this clear, the high power isn't always necessary. See my signature for where to get one. I am in no way affiliated with them, Scott showed me a level of customer service I have never seen anywhere else, thus he has my loyalty.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
SPONSOR

Just a tad under the capabilities of the ones mentioned is Vortex HD Razor. For the price it is really good. I am using one right now, and I am very impressed.