Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica RF vs Zeiss RF... which works better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

Leica RF vs Zeiss RF... which works better?

Been trolling the net trying to figure out which RF to buy? Ive narrowed it down to the Zeiss PRF and the leica CRF1200 based on price and useability, im not considering the swaro due to its higher price and i dont shoot at anything beyond 1200yds. Also there have been ALOT of reports of glitches with this unit aswell as being difficult to read, slow to read, and hard on batteries.

Im having alot of dramas trying to find any helpful info on the Zeiss PRF in particluar, not many reports on the net yet. Some people have described the zeiss as ranging very well in midday sun out to 1200yds on game. I find this a little hard to believe. Other people run the zeiss down for having the largest beam divergence as opposed to the Leica which has the smallest in its class...

So which way to go?

Lecia crf 1200 or Ziess 8x24 PRF, and why?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Leica RF vs Zeiss RF... which works better?

My Leica LRF 1200 has always done a great job for years... But the new Leica CRF 1200 is smaller, waterproof and faster. The Leica rep also told me it shoots outs multiple readings, makes a "bell curve" of the readings and gives the average... less mistakes or errors that way... wont give the range of a bush 50 yards in front of a buck... but the distance to the buck. From my experience, you won't be sorry buying a Leica. NJS
Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

thanks for the reply... thing is, i know the leica is a good unit and if the ziess did not exist i would not have any dilemma.

There just isnt much info on the zeiss yet, heaps on the leica.... anyone have any experience with the zeiss PRF? The few reports i have read suggest the zeiss ranges slightly further and does it better in midday sun...? can anyone confirm?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

I own the Leica 1200 and love it. I was considering taking it back and getting the swaro, but after hearing about some glitches and then talking to one of the opitics guys at cabelas I decided to keep my Leica. The guy at Cabelas said his manager had the swaro and sold it and bought the Leica. The Leica is more compact and so far mine has worked great, can't wait to use it this hunting season.