Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica Geovid BRF ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Leica Geovid BRF ?

Hey, is anyone planning on getting a pair of these? The reason I ask is because I have a friend who is a Leica dealer and if we get three or more of these we might be able to get a discount of around $100.00 off suggested retail.

Suggested Retail for the 10x42's is $1,850.00
Suggested Retail for the 8x42's is $1,800.00

The Geovid BRF's are not going to be released until July 04, and from what I have heard is there is a waiting list building up and if you get on it right now you will get it by Sept 04.

Here is a link:
http://www.leica-camera.com/sportopt...d/index_e.html

The new Geovids are the size of a normal binocular, from what I saw at the shot show I am definitely getting a pair! They are also rated to range out to 1300 yards. The glass is excellent, I compared it side by side with Leica's other 10x42 binocs and I couldn't discern any difference in resolution and clarity. The Geovid BRF is a definite winner!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Re: Leica Geovid BRF ?

Hi SR90
I am interested!
Can you confirm a price? When?
Send me an email with details , please.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

2 web sites are alrady showing $1645 for the 10x42.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Any links to them, Hunter66654?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Hi Guys, i saw the same binoc's at the IWA, very impressive piece of kit. superlative leica binocs with built in range finder, basicaly the smaller cousin of the Vektor unit that is in servicewith some military sniper teams and FOO.
The prices quoted are good,i was quoted retail here 1400 euros, thats about $1700, my guess is should be available for 10% maybe 15% less than that if you shop around. My leica contact also hinted at the unit becoming Palm or PCcompatible in the future in that you will be able to load your balistics into it and it will tell you how many click you need for the range it just measured. nice pieceof kit, definately on the must have list.. Pete
Old 04-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

Brent, www.scopecity.com and www.swfa.com both have adds at $1650 in round numbers. Swfa is showing availability in June 04 on their web site now but when i called them a few weeks ago they said July or August. maybe they have a better handle on it now.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Hunter.

My only concern - The new 10x42 Ultravid binos are SUPER SWEET, and much lighter than the older 10x42 BA's I have. Do the Geovids have the titaniun pin and magnesium frame like the new Ultravids, same glass but, just incorperate the laser unit from the Lieca 1200. I just wonder if we'd be getting lesser glass quality, higher weight etc with the Geovid in order to get the great price and incorperated laser, know what I mean? Just seems the price is not too much more than the Ultravid's...

I wonder if the link up to a palm device will have to use a certain ballistic program, sounds cool though. You'd still have to enter in the wind speed and dirrection on the palm to get your correction there, unless the Kestrel was hooked up. One click away from that and you have your firing solution anyway. Seems it might be a neat feature but not really a time saver as it seems.

If it displayed the wind deflection MOA in the HUD for a 1 MPH wind for 30, 60 and 90 degrees off to the side, one could figure that quickly without haveing to do anything (possibly) but turn on the palm device and Kestrel.

I'd be perfectly satisfied with an integral laser in my new Leica's, that's value enough for me. I think the two wires running to the palm and Kestrel would be a thurough pain in the *****, not to mention the wind is something I like to look at a little more carefully than a single reading you'd probably get when you hit the fire button on the Geovid.