Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica Geovid 10x42 HD "Rangefinding Binoculars"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Leica Geovid 10x42 HD "Rangefinding Binoculars"

I feel like im beating a dead horse here and trebark would agree with me, sorry Trebark. However I saw that Leica has a 10x42 HD Binoculars that also has a range finder built it. I realize that for me going from a Leica 1600 RF,@ $799 to a pair of RF Binoes for $2300 is a bit exstream. But after this weekend and buying my wife a new Kitchen Table that she fell in love with for $2600 It now seems cheap. I told here that since she gets a new table and Frig and matching bar stools all for $ 4200, The binoculars that I only dreamed of could possibly become a reality................This month I have three payperiods instead of two so that means I could use the $1600 as if it never came out of the Budget................Now if I can only get Jackie to see the same kind of logic........ Besides the other table she wanted was $1,500 ..............Makes sence to me.

So is the RF that is built in to these Bino's everything you would expect from Leica?? Meaning I would be purchasing the top of the line Binoculars and a super RF at the same time..........................

Greg
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leica Geovid 10x42 HD "Rangefinding Binoculars"

If you can afford them.... Pull the trigger. You'll never look back.

Jon
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Thanks............................That's what I need to hear.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Bronze Member

They won't range anywhere as far a the unfortunately mono Swaro 8x30 will.
I have both and have only used the Leica for one trip. they sit in th cupboard.
I can see rabbits at 1000 yds in good light with the Swaro. Swaro are working on a bino rangefinder as well but have not got them up to their standard as yet.
Also the rangefinder function degrades the pure bino quality compared to similar binos they are not as bright or clear.
Hope that saves you some $
Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

I would go to your local optics dealer and look through all the high end bino's they have. Once you start getting over a $1000 bucks it becomes more of a name game and a status symbol. A stand alone range finder will no doubt range further. However, ask your self do you really need to range over 1000 yards. When I hold the range finder up and it comes back blank with a reading I know I am still to far out and I better close the gap with two feet and a heart beat. I do not use range finding bino's but many of my partners do. It is easier to get on target because of the larger FOV. It's less hassle and less gear to carry which makes you more likely to use it. Again this is MY opinion based on my experiences with my Leica range finder vs. my partners Geovids. If it were my coin I would go compare high end bino's and go from there.

Hey Aussie, would you like to sell your Geovids since you are no longer using them?

Jon
Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

Direct comparison last year - the Leica refused to range a crow on the ground at which the Swaro subsequently told me was 286yds.
This was bright middle of day on a gibber [stony] plain with little to reflect and high ambient light.
However i was amazed at their lack of ability - pulled the swaro out and got an immediate reading.
I have kept the Leica for my wife to use with her 17HMR - close range stuff.
Good advice to compare but do it late in the afternoon to be able to see the benefits of good quality glass.
I looked through many binos one evening in Aukland NZ across a city block into store windows.
That was the best comparo I ever managed and the pure Leica Binos shone.
I ended up buying a compact pair of 10x25 leica.
I have just purchased a pair of Swaro 10x50 EL which are leading edge I believe now.
Sorry to get off track but these have a very flat image with large field of view because of larger than normal occular lens. I used a demo pair in darkness one evening which impressed me enough to replace my 10x42 SLC.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Aussie, Maybe you got a bad piece of equipt with your Leica. That does happen.
Based on your report I think I'd send them back for an inspection.
My personal experience using borrowed 10X42 BRF has been great. I have had a 1200 compact LRF since they came out and have been holding out on buying the BRF hoping that they will put the added features of the 1600 into the bino set.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.