Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica 1600B or Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Leica 1600B or Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 help

I need a range finder as I am getting into long range shooting. I have found a decent deal on both these model range finders and need to move quickly in my decision before they are sold to someone else. Am I correct in the fact that the Swaro is just a rangefinder with no angle compensation. If this is true would you recommend the Leica 1600B which does? Guess I'm looking for your input on which is better for the application of long range shooting.

Thanks,
Speedy.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Leica 1600B or Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 help

Having owned 5 Swaro's and several Leica's I much prefer the Leica for it's smaller more precise beam divergence. I have learned through much testing that I can not always trust the units with larger beams.

And yes the 1600B has a choice of trajectories, gives shot angle along with Baro pressure and temp. The Laser Guide only gives distance to the target readings.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Having owned 5 Swaro's and several Leica's I much prefer the Leica for it's smaller more precise beam divergence. I have learned through much testing that I can not always trust the units with larger beams.

And yes the 1600B has a choice of trajectories, gives shot angle along with Baro pressure and temp. The Laser Guide only gives distance to the target readings.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff,
I went ahead and bought the Leica after some more reaserch and your input.

Eric.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

I have read that the Leica 1600b has the ability to calculate drop. How is ths done is it buy feeding figures about your load and such other pertanent info and if so will it display drop in MOA? I am ok with it not calculating drop but angle compensation is a must !
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

the only thing that I dont like with the leica is its hard to hold steady when your trying to range a milk jug or five gallon bucket at long range, i have ranged cars at 1800 yards and deer at 1730 but it depends on the day, glass is good to, invest in the tripod mount if you shoot alot of long range it can be handy
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM

I'm attempting to decide between these (2) rangefinders (among others). I hunt elk in Colorado, and ideally I'd like to leave the binoculars at home. The Leicas have a 7x24 lens, and the Swarovski's an 8x30 lens. I currently have crappy pair of Leupolds with 8x28 lens and they are worthless for any type of glassing. I'm going to Cabela's tomorrow to compare a bunch of rangefinders in person, but does anyone have any experience with the glassing capablities of these. NOTE: I'm certain the new Swarovski EL Range binoculars are EXACTLY what I need, but at $3000 I'd be gaining binoculars and loosing a wife. (for some that would be a win/win, but not in this case
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Smoked: I have the 1600b that said I could not justify $100. for the adapter I put a rear shooting bag on top of the tri pod and all is good.JMO

ColoYooper: I do not thing a RF no matter the brand will sub for a decent pair of bino's I prefer 10x bino's for glassing and then switch to spotting scope to better study intended target. Again JMO