Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica 1600b - Question on ballistic curve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Bronze Member

Leica 1600b - Question on ballistic curve

Im looking strongly at purchasing a Leica 1600b but I had a question on choosing the proper ballistic curve out of the 12 that are available.

Lets say I did my handload testing work at an elevation of 600ft but I will be hunting at 7500ft. Should I use my drop figures for my load work at 600ft elevation or should I use a ballistic calculator factoring in the 7,500ft elevation I will be hunting at?

I guess what Im trying to determine is what does the device use as a starting point to calculate the proper holdover, clicks, etc, for the elevation you are currently hunting.

I looked at the instruction manual on the Leica website but it was not clear to me how they chose the ballistic curves.

Thanks for any info you may have on that. Mike
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leica 1600b - Question on ballistic curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike027 View Post
Im looking strongly at purchasing a Leica 1600b but I had a question on choosing the proper ballistic curve out of the 12 that are available.

Lets say I did my handload testing work at an elevation of 600ft but I will be hunting at 7500ft. Should I use my drop figures for my load work at 600ft elevation or should I use a ballistic calculator factoring in the 7,500ft elevation I will be hunting at?

I guess what Im trying to determine is what does the device use as a starting point to calculate the proper holdover, clicks, etc, for the elevation you are currently hunting.

I looked at the instruction manual on the Leica website but it was not clear to me how they chose the ballistic curves.

Thanks for any info you may have on that. Mike
I have a 1600b I have figured on this very problem, If you have accurate velocity for your load then it is as simple as feeding your numbers in to a computer and adjust the numbers for the hunting conditions as close as you can then use the curve that matches those conditions
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Leica 1600b - Question on ballistic curve

Thats sorta what I figured. Thanks for the reply. Mike