Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica 1200 RF problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
Re: Leica 1200 RF problems

7mmag man,

There have been extremely few times that the leica 1200 has left me wanting for more range finder. unfortunately, one of those times was with a world class Mouflon ram at around a half mile out.

For the money I would say the Leica is hard to beat. If you want to step up to $800, the Swarovski, from what I am hearing from very trustworthy sources is the rangefinder that is setting the pace currently. For shooting out to 700 to 800 yards the leica 1200 will be hard to beat!

My issue is that the Allen Mags have quickly outgrown these range limitations and needs something more.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:

Unread 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

If you move at all while trying to hit something at 600+, you will not get a good reading.
If you have a steady rest (tripod, truck, etc.) then you can get into the longer ranges. I tried to range an elk that was bedded down, but could not, even when leaning against the truck with my arms on the bed. When I set the rangefinder on the bed rails, thus creating a dead rest by taking me out of the picture, I was able to range the elk at 1148 yards - every time I hit the button.
Too bad it wasn't during hunting season! (like I could have hit it anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!
Unread 06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say that? You obviously haven't whitnessed my shooting! IT IS HORRIBLE.
But good news is that I am getting a handle on it. A couple of weeks ago my max range was about 300 yards now I am FAIRLY consistent at 600. Who knows maybe deer will die at 800 hundread yards come deer season.

Thanks for the advice!
I shoot 1/4 inch groups at a 1000 yards. That is...till my second shot.
Unread 06-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Thank you ALL for your responses. I changed batteries about 3 months ago. But I'll change them again. That could be an easy fix although i doubt it. I want to go do some more shooting this weekend so I'll try it out again before i send her back. I wish I could afford the Swarovski unit but I'm saving up to buy a rifle from Kirby.

One thing that has got me thinking is the problem could be me? One of you mentioned that when you put the rangefinder on the tripod it worked. I hadn't considered that. I'll try that too and see if it helps.

Thanks everyone.
Unread 06-27-2005, 08:01 AM

I have a LRF12OO that is also playing up, the first reading it gave me on a tree trunk at about 100 yards came up way out, the second and third readings were fine. This has happened three or four times, sometimes it is correct first go. I intend to try a new battery and see. If I was buying a rangefinder today I would look very closly at the Lieca Geovid rangfinding bino, I have heard some very good things about them. Expensive yes but you only buy quality once. I have not yet seen Swarovski's rangefinder, their scopes and binos are excellent though.
Unread 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Have you ranged a coyote with the Swaro or Leica yet? We hunt large open fields where the coyotes roam so we need to be able to range the coyote not a tree or hillside.

Can these units on a good day get a reading from such a small animal?
Unread 07-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

I have ranged many coyotes with the lasers, one comes to mind on an overcast winter day across a huge irrigation flat, 1091 yards for three consecutive readings according to my notes - that was with the Leica 1200. Have also had 1000+ readings on "good" days with the Swarovski, last time we threw dirt on a yote at 1025 with my .300 WSM - bullet hit just under his chest. These situations happened on flat, overcast days and I would not get anywhere near those readings in bright sun, particularly in winter. 5-600 is very doable in winter tho, and that is a long shot on a yote. Have a coyote killing buddy who hunts commercially, he uses his Leica on most shots if he is calling. You do NOT have to range the yote, get some good distance info off rocks, trees, posts or whatever so that you know accurately how far out he is in case there is no time for a laser reading. I actually draw a little sketch, mark in the distances, put the laser away.