Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leica 1200 RF problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

Leica 1200 RF problems

Gentleman,
I purchased a Leica 1200 Rangefinder last year. I haven't used it too much in the field. But over the last few months I have. I'm having a heck of time ranging Anything over 600yds. Sometimes I can get out to 800yds but only once over 900. This is on Buildings, cars, trees, rocks and animals. Most of the time during the day its sunny, but I've done this on cloudy and overcast days too. Is this normal and if so why? If this isn't normal I'm guessing I need to send this one in for repair. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Leica 1200 RF problems

Boman,

Send 'er back!!!

I took mine out last night chuckin' with the 270 Allen Mag. Got a chuck at 1098 yards thanks to getting four consistant range measurements in a row with my 1200 Leica. Got several ranges in the 1200-1250 yard ranges as well(no hits though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) but this was against a rock side hill.

This was also in pretty bright sunlight so yours should be working much better then it is. I would change batteries and try it again but I suspect it will need to go back for replacement.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

I hate to see them put those numbers on the lasers since there is so much variation in performance. In my opinion the numbers create expectations that are rarely met.

Bright sun is a killer on all of the small, handheld eyesafte laser rangefinders. In my experience your laser is working about as well as our Leicas average, but there are days when they just don't perform, period. I have accepted that 60-65% of the rated yardage is a good average for field use, anything above that is almost a bonus. There are days when I cannot get 50% with any of the units I use, although I might add that the Swarovski gets readings farther than the other models almost every time we compare.

This might not help much, I always check the lasers by taking a reading, then moving one long step forward or backwards and taking another reading. Should be one yard difference. Not sure how else you can check to see if they are working -- range determination varies so much that longest distance read is not a constant.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby's sugestion to put fresh batteries in is a very good one - that makes a difference. Kirby, you are getting great performance, I have had three Leica 1200's to compare and they did not all give similar performance. Perhaps there is a range of performance that is "the way it is" and not much can be done about it.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ian,

Realize I was ranging into large flat, bare hill sides so these are about as quality as you can get for a ranging target. I was not ranging the chucks, just the flat area around them.

The angle of the face of the hill was not perpendicular to me but it was a very steep angle. This is the reason for the great readings.

On targets out in open areas or flat terrain, I would agree with your experience totally, roughly 800 yards is where I start loosing consistancy.

For that reason I ordered a Swar RF. Should be here soon!!

Your testing results are right on in my opinion but I will say that Boman should be getting over 600 yard readings consistantly with this RF.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

AHHHHHHHHH

Man this is the last thing that I wanted to hear! I was under the impression that the leica 1200 was about the best rangefinder on the market now for ranging over 1000 yards. Now I am left wondering. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]I was just about to buy one too. So what is THE best one in your guys opinion? Swaro or Leica? And is the Swaro worth the price diff? (I don't know how much they are but with the name it tells me they are expensive)
Old 06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

After reading of Kirby's experience on that Idaho hunt I did some serious testing of my own with my own Leica 1200.

Had ranged 3 doe individually in tall grass at 625, 635 and 640. Was repeatable. Later they moved into the sage brush and ranged the one I could find at 695, though it may well have been sage brush that I was actually ranging. Dunno.

At 445 it wouldn't range a black stock cow no matter how many attempts. However would range a railroad tie just in front of the cow.

Would range other cows in the herd regardless of color just so it wasn't black, out to 700 yds and a bit beyond (thats as far as they were away).

Would range russian olive trees and bushes out to 970 if the sun was right.

Ranges rock chucks and such really well as they are always on big piles of lava rock.

As stated above stamping an number on the unit is a bit ambitious.

Where there are trees etc, such as mountain sides and the like there is no problem. But, if there is only large flat sage brush spaces with no Cedar trees it's a bit of a guess.

So far the Leica 1200 is plenty sufficient for my "long" range 270 Win, I'm figuring 700 yds max.

When I step up with something 'really' long range, 900 to 1500 yds I think I'm in trouble.

Just my own experience.

7mmmag man, I'd say that the leica is about the best out there in the price range though I do hear good things about the Bushnell 1500 but I bet is not 100% at that 1500 number and can't see how it would be as good as the leica. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]