Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Left Eye Dominant, right handed shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Left Eye Dominant, right handed shooter

Hi, I would like to know if anyone else has ran into a very strange problem Im having. Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed ( I can shoot left but prefer right) and after installing my new scope and scope level that is leveled to the top turret, I found that the crosshairs are canted from the right to the left (the right is higher) And I only see this when I shoot "righty", but when I switch to left handed the crosshairs appear to be perfectly level when my scope level says they are. but shooting right handed "level" on the scope level looks canted about half the width of the .5 mil heavy duplex

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is this just an issue with my perception of the reticle and its my brain that cant get it right? Or will I have cant issues because my reticle isnt "level" to my right handed left eye dominant perception?

Ive "shot the box" going off of the scope level and it tracks vertically fine out to the 300yds ive tested it, but say I am getting cant error, if its 5 degrees (it doesnt seem that much) i would be .3 off at 300 yds, so less than 1moa off in the direction of the cant and since my rifle on its absolute best day ( and mine) groups just under 1moa its really hard to tell if im getting a .2 mil cant error at 300yd, I will be doing some long range stuff pretty soon so I will find out then but id llike to hear peoples thoughts or similar experiances so maybe I can save some time, money and headache trying to figure it out.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Left Eye Dominant, right handed shooter

I set up a lot of scopes for my self and friends I also shoot left handed and I encounter the same problem. TRUST your level more so for long range shooting. Thats why a level on your scope is a good idea most shooters cant their gun.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
...I found that the crosshairs are canted from the right to the left (the right is higher) And I only see this when I shoot "righty", but when I switch to left handed the crosshairs appear to be perfectly level when my scope level says they are. but shooting right handed "level" on the scope level looks canted about half the width of the .5 mil heavy duplex ...
What do you mean by "looks canted"? Are you looking at a plumb line and changing between a left and right cheek weld?

How this affects your shooting at long range depends on the type of shooting. For example, if you always take one or more sighting shots whenever you change target range, a reproducible cant won't affect your accuracy. If instead you want to vary target range and make accurate first shot hits, then you need to minimize cant errors, because they vary with range.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 05-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Very familiar with that issue. You have two choices that will work long term

1. Learn to shoot left handed. Not as hard as you think and best bet

2. Train non dominant eye to see equally. Wear shooting glasses with a piece of frosted scotch tape centered over dominant eye. That little fuzziness forces the brain to switch eyes but you can see very well while wearing them.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
Hi, I would like to know if anyone else has ran into a very strange problem Im having. Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed ( I can shoot left but prefer right) and after installing my new scope and scope level that is leveled to the top turret, I found that the crosshairs are canted from the right to the left (the right is higher) And I only see this when I shoot "righty", but when I switch to left handed the crosshairs appear to be perfectly level when my scope level says they are. but shooting right handed "level" on the scope level looks canted about half the width of the .5 mil heavy duplex

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is this just an issue with my perception of the reticle and its my brain that cant get it right? Or will I have cant issues because my reticle isnt "level" to my right handed left eye dominant perception?

Ive "shot the box" going off of the scope level and it tracks vertically fine out to the 300yds ive tested it, but say I am getting cant error, if its 5 degrees (it doesnt seem that much) i would be .3 off at 300 yds, so less than 1moa off in the direction of the cant and since my rifle on its absolute best day ( and mine) groups just under 1moa its really hard to tell if im getting a .2 mil cant error at 300yd, I will be doing some long range stuff pretty soon so I will find out then but id llike to hear peoples thoughts or similar experiances so maybe I can save some time, money and headache trying to figure it out.

My father was right handed and shot right handed and was BLIND in his right eye....he aimed using his left??? He had blindness of the cornea in his right eye and had it for many years but still shot well enough to shoot expert with his M1 rifle. He was the 1st Sgt of my National Guard company and many stood around to watch him do his thing when it was his time to fire on the range.

Cant ask ow he did it because he died back in 1969...but I can still remember him doing it
Old 05-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

By "looks canted" I mean when I set up behind the gun is any position shooting right handed when the scope is level (according to the level) there is a very noticeable and very irritating cant to the reticle like ______+----------

If I do set it up to what appears level to me, the level on the scope is pegged all the way left. like this ---> |0__|__|___|

On a flat range if I do line up the reticle with a target stand even though it appears canted to me, but the level says its good the vertical and horizontal crosshair lines run perfectly parralell to the target

But if I set up behind the gun left handed when the reticle looks level the scope level says its level. And if i leave the gun exactly where it was and switch to a right handed position the reticle immediatley looks canted

BountyHunter, Ill try the tape on the shooting glasses because I cant shoot this rifle left handed unless I want to catch hot brass in my face after every shot, Its an AR and my "brass deflector" is more of a brass director, because it directs the brass almost straight back, its annoying because my carbine upper does deflect the brass to the side I can shoot that left handed all day

"How this affects your shooting at long range depends on the type of shooting"

Im a target shooter more than anything so a first round hit isnt "as important" or maybe i should say neccessary like it is to the hunter, but I dont want to sit somewhere and spam rounds downrange to "see where im at" and work my way to a target, hitting a 12" plate at 700yds with a .223 isnt really impressive if it took an entire mag to get that one hit , not to mention expensive . So being on target from the start is really important to me if not necessary.

I dont want to be getting cant error but hit the target by overcompensating with windage and since im getting hits belive that my wind calls are accurate when they arent

So you are saying forget what it looks like as long as I use the level on my scope I should have no issues with cant error?

Thanks for your help guys this has been driving me crazy I dont know how many times Ive rechecked the level on the scope I even bought a new bar level so I could make sure the gun and scope were both level at the same time the scope level was. And they are.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I too am left eye dominant but shoot right handed without any problem.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.