Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leatherwood uni-dial scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leatherwood uni-dial scope

I have read other reviews on Leatherwood/Hi-Lux optics and usually the china made fact turns most people away. I first started to try the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux scopes with the CMR 1-4x24 fitted to a M4 platform and performance was Excellent! (Shot Gun News, David Fortier,10, November, 2010). My next purchase was a Uni-Dial 4-16x50 with the 45^ angle “Top Focus” and Second focal plane this glass was mounted on top of an accurate 22-250 varmint rig. Again I was impressed with tracking, zero hold, clarity and excellent focusing. While looking thru an issue of Shot Gun News (10, March, 2011) again David Fortier runs a piece on a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 2-7x32mm LER scout scope, he mentions talking to Hi-Lux’s president John Wu at “Shot Show” and was informed of his (Mr. Wu) desire to produce high quality optics. There are several other aspects mentioned of technical improvements along with European optic technology being used in the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux optics.

I am likely to buy a 7-30x50 Uni-Dial scope to complement my 6mm-284 and run it thru some drills. I think this brand of optic will become better known since they are seeing more print in shooting magazines and they are worth putting an eye to one and printing some groups to prove there worth. I wouldn’t criticize these scopes until you have used them in the field as I have and find they are well worth the money.

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association

Last edited by Bob the nailer; 03-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Bob I have it from a very reliable sorce that they are producing a unertl type scope for the CMP vintage sniper match.it will replicate the scope that the U.S. marine corp used in WWII,Korea,and Viet Nam. Also they are looking into a 10x42x56 for F class competition.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

After what I have been reading and talking to Leatherwood techs, I think a watchfull eye should be kept on these optics. Also I talked with Iron Sight Inc as they are a Leatherwood service facility, when I receive the 7-30x50 Uni-Dial I will most likely send it to them for a reticle change. They also mentioned some really good things to come with the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux optics.

NRA Life member
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Thought you might be interested in a tech. view of the Leatherwood mechanics. This was posted over at www.swfa.com in optics talk.

Post Options Post Reply
Quote IRON MIKE

Quote Reply Posted: September/20/2011 at 22:51 When a variable scope changes zero after a power change this is called optical shift. it is of course unaceptable. this is because the reticle is not set in the center of the optical axis. this can only be done by the factory or a trained technician. over the years I have inspected many brands of rifle scopes to see how much optical shift they may have and you would be amazed at how many do if even the smallest amount. For example a 3x9x scope that is zeroed at 9x then is turned to 3x looses its zero slightly or a great deal because the reticle is off axis. When the scop is zeroed at 9x and then you turn it to 3x or anything in between the scope stays zeroed then the reticle is set to the center of the optical axis and is optiacally centered. at Iron Sight Inc great care is taken to make sure all variable rifle and pistol scope reticles are set to optical center befor they leave. I have checked many of Leatherwood High Lux scopes and every one is optically centerd out of the box I have never found to have this adverse affect.

NRA Life member
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM

I have the Uni-Dial 4-16x50 on a 30-338 I built. My only complaint is the 45 degree focus indexing ring became loose, so not it is a poke and hope as far as focusing goes.

Other than that I really like the scope. The range here only goes out to 400 meters, so I had to rely on software to set the flags out past that. From zero to 400 meters they are dead on and have been since I originally set the scope up.

I have been threatening to send the scope back for repair, but hate to take it off the rifle.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

Give Iron Sight a call as Leatherwood optics have a full warranty to the origional purchaser.

NRA Life member
Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 AM

It shoots soooo well I hate messing with it, but I guess I better!
Thanks
Jerry