Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leatherwood uni-dial scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Leatherwood uni-dial scope

Any one try the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux uni-dial scopes? settable flags on the elevation turent seem helpful in quick refrence points, what about optic clarity and repeatable zero?

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leatherwood uni-dial scope

So I went and bought a Uni-Dial 4-16X50, I couldn't resist the temptation to see for myself what these scopes were like. For starters the 30mm tube and top angle focus make for a beefy looking optic, the reticule is nice with several elevation and windage refrence points. As for clarity it is very good edge to edge and with a Second Focal Plane reticule P.O.I. did not shift to any noticeable degree for a hunting optic. I shot at 4X, 8X, 12X, 16X refrencing same P.O.A. with rapid shots, all inside a dime at 100yards. Now the resettable elevation zero works great along with the zero set for windage, I shot the "box" and tracking was good with the last shot printing right next to the first shot (my error and a warm barrel threw the last shot ).

This is not a Bench Rest optic and once zeroed and flags are set for desired yardage it works excellent! I have not experienced any problems with a loss of zero and for field use it runs out great. Do some reading on SFP reticules and adjusting for clarity and you will love the No Math Mil - Dot system.

Just thought I would post some experience with a Leatherwood

NRA Life member

Last edited by Bob the nailer; 03-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm an LEO and I am issued an AR15 and an 870 Remington shotgun along with an auto pistol. Last Tuesday night I was leaving my house to work a midnight shift and was carrying my AR15 to the patrol car that has a Leatherwood hi-lux CMR mounted on it. I was walking on the side walk headed to the patrol car when I looked up at the sky noticing how clear it was when I turned my ankle and went crashing down and there went my radio car keys, and I my AR15 crashing to the ground as the pain went shooting through my ankle. I fell on the AR15 and it had landed on its right side on the windage knob. I rolled off of it and got up and started limping around and taking inventory, it hurt like hell but I was thinking that if I walked it out it would be ok.it got better and I went straight to my AR, picked it up and thought that I have probably broken the scoep at least. I picked up the keys and raido and headed to the patrol car off I went. I know what you guys ar thinking is it still sighted in? Well I am the zone firearms instuctor so I wet straight to the range opened the gate and went to the 100 yard line stapled a target to the frame and went back and took the AR15 out of tha rack turned on the illuminate reticle. Yes I put the spot light on the target . I aimed at the chest of the B-27 police target and fired three shots and then went down range to see what the results were, when I got there I saw a cluster of three bullet holes exactly where I had aimed the scope zero had not changed from taking that shock of hitting the ground and clumsy me falling on it. this was great I thought. and I went back and fired thee more shots into the head of the target and checked them to find them dead center in the head where I had aimed. Yes I am very pleased with this scope and it looks like my fellow officers are very intrested as well.it took a beating and its still going.

Last edited by topgun736; 03-06-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

If you keep old copies of Shot Gun News check issue November, 10, 2010 there is quite a good wright up on the CMR, thats what drove me to buy one for my ar!

NRA Life member
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Re: Leaterwood CMR

I have read that article by David Fortier. My next project is putting a CMR on my Springfield Armory M1A.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:20 AM

Well its been a few days since my last post when I talked about my next project of mounting a Leatherwood CMR 1x4 tactical scope on my Springfield Armory M1A. Well today Was the day. As many of you know the CMR has a reticle that has aiming points from 100 to 900 meters, and is calibrated to 55grain and 62 grain 223. and 168 grain federal match ammunition which is what I fired today. First I installed Leatherwoods M14/M1A mount and steel rings then the CMR scope and zeroed the rifle at 100 meters. I then moved to a steel reactive target range. which had targets at 200,300,400,and 500 meters. I took a prone position using a bipod and using the 200 meter mark in the scope fired and the six diamiter target went down. I moved to the 300 meter indication on the reticle put it on the 300 meter target gave the trigger a straight slow pull to the rear and the target went down hard. 400,and 500 the same thing. I gave it a rest to let the barrel cool and repeted the drill. I was verry happy with the scopes performance,and as per my last post I know its durrable.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

I am suprised at what little responce there is with shooters trying the Leatherwood optics. I have no complaints with the CMR or Uni-Dial I have tried.

NRA Life member