Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Laser scope ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM

Laser scope ?

I am thinking I want to buy one of these new laser scopes. Nikon, Bushnell and Burris all make one.

My question is, which is the most capable? Which will figure the trajectory, uphill/downhill etc and put the dot right where it needs to be? Anyone have experience with these?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Laser scope ?

O., I have been fortunate enough to have over 2000 rounds under Nikon's M-223 2.5-10 Laser IRT BDC 600 Scope. I was doign some testing/QC last June down here in Tx. 105 deg. in the shade. 1000 rounds of 5.56 and 1000 rounds of 7.62. I managed to get the barrel of the 7.62 so hot I melted part of my front rest to the barrel. This Range finding scope with BDC reticle functioned flawlessly. I was afraid about the excessive heat but no issues. I ranged multiple targets for 8 hours of shooting and all went perfectly. Panning allowed the displayed distance to change and the BDC Reticle lets you instantly utilize correct circle for dead on impact. The only bad part was that I had to send this scope back when I was through and didn't get to keep it! I showed this scope to hundred's of guys at Shot Show last Jan. and everyone wanted it! They can be hard to find so if you come across one better to get it then wait, just a suggestion.
I also want to add that when I did all this shooting, DPMS loaned me 2 rifles and both functioned perfectly. Not even one misfire in either Oracle.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...erIRT2-1-1.jpg
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Swaro made one a few years back calle the LRF or LRS. Something like that. I would love to find one. Cant afford the Zeiss version. Dang that would be a dream scope!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar615 View Post
...Which will figure the trajectory, uphill/downhill etc and put the dot right where it needs to be? Anyone have experience with these?
None of them measure wind or calculate wind deflection. Only you can decide if they provide sufficient measurements and calculations for the conditions and distances where you shoot.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Good point. Maybe find one with a mil dot reticle to help with the wind corrections.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Bronze Member

Burris is coming out with a new model, scheduled for release in July/2012. It does provide a reading for a direct crosswind of 10mph at the same time it gives you your range to target. It's a 4-16x50, with parallax adjustment.

It also figures in angle of shot for you. Supposed to be able to set it up specific to your cartridge data by plugging in the ballistics. It also has ranging capabilities listed to reflective - 1200 yards, with deer sized targets listed at up to 750 yards.

Has mil dots in the reticle and supposedly gives you accurate readings at all magnifications.

It is listed on Burris's site in a pdf brochure. Would be kind of slick if it does what they are advertising it will. No price yet, but I see SWFA has them listed at $1499 for when they become available.