Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Laser Rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

Laser Rangefinders

I thought I might share my recent experience testing several laser rangefinders side by side on the same objects. I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit) a new Leica 1200 CRF, a NewCon 1500, and Swarovski Guide. The Leica LRF is a 600 to 800 yard unit but it completely outclassed the much newer Leica 1200 CRF. The newer Leica often could not reach 600 yards. The older box type unit is also much easier to hold steady than the CRF. The NewCon 1500 was a real surprise. It would outrange the Leica's every time and give the same readings at the ranges that the Leica would give readings. The glass on the NewCon is quite poor but it does range well and for $300.00 I cannot fault it. The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders. Often giving readings past 1200 yards on deer size objects. All the rangefinders gave the same readings on objects that they could be matched on. I bought the Swarovski and I put up the Leica LRF 1200 for sale, but I now think I will keep the Leica as a back-up. You do get what you pay for but sometimes you do not. The newer Leica is not worth the price in my opinion. There does seem to be some differences between rangefinders of the same model type. However, this is what I got with these units on this day.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Laser Rangefinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cunningham View Post
I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit)... The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders.
I replaced my Leica LRF 1200 Scan with a Swarovski and experienced the same improvement in ranging ability. Sold the Leica 1200 Scan 3 years ago. I'm completely happy with the Swaro so far. I did have to replace the battery this October on a Mt. Goat hunt. The original battery lasted a long time - about 2 yrs and multiple hunts - in my Swaro. Other than that, it takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in. But some other members are beginning to post of functional failures with their Swarovski LRF. So be aware of this potential as you continue to use your Swaro.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, it amazes me how different the results on these are when tested by different people. Totally not what I see from my Leica 1200 CRF. I am beginning to think there are HUGE differences in the same modles unit ot unit. Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..

Jeff
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Wow, it amazes me how different the results on these are when tested by different people. Totally not what I see from my Leica 1200 CRF. I am beginning to think there are HUGE differences in the same modles unit ot unit. Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..

Jeff
Plus one... My CRF 1200 ranges 700-900 in the brightest light conditons and depending on the angle and target will sometimes range to 1100 yds in mid day. The farthest reading I've gotten with it is 1431, at dusk. In the first or last hour of light it will quickley and consitantly, hit 1300 plus.

I did a side by side with CRF 1200, Swaro, and Zeiss in a parking lot. Not many good target options. it was a bright mid afternoon and all of them hit to over 100 yds. The Swaro ranged a group of trees past 1500 and the others wouldn't. I think both the Swaro and the Leica have their strong and weak points. I'm happy with the $$$ I spent on my Leica. It would be nice to have the Swaro also.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..
Jeff
Jeff,

With all your challenges with RF, perhaps a Newcon 2000 or better is in order as your back up to a back up ... or at least try anyways (unless you've already done so). IIRC, Joe Starnes uses the Newcons and I think he's a dealer too. Maybe if you sweet talk him, he'll let you try his for comparative analysis.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Jeff,

With all your challenges with RF, perhaps a Newcon 2000 or better is in order as your back up to a back up ... or at least try anyways (unless you've already done so). IIRC, Joe Starnes uses the Newcons and I think he's a dealer too. Maybe if you sweet talk him, he'll let you try his for comparative analysis.

Good luck!

Ed
HI Ed, I know Joe well , infact he built my Lapua Mag. I have used his before at his range on steel targets and it did work good. I may need to step up to higher priced units. I am looking at optiona now.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
HI Ed, I know Joe well , infact he built my Lapua Mag. I have used his before at his range on steel targets and it did work good. I may need to step up to higher priced units. I am looking at optiona now.

Thanks
Jeff
Yep, I remember reading some of your old posts. I figure now that you are closer, you can ping him for it. BTW, how's Townsend and MT working out for you?

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.