Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lapping, Reaming and Burris inserts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

Lapping, Reaming and Burris inserts

Like Frank, I have Burris Signature rings on almost everything. I like them because they don't ruin the finish on my expensive scope. I have had several scopes scratched and dented by Leupold and Weaver rings.

I am getting a tapered bases (planned to get a NF 20 MOA) and had planned to go with Burris Rings, although I wasn't sure if they would be high enough. It sounds like they will be.

Now, I'm thinking I should perhaps go with Badgers. I read in another thread that they don't seem to marr the finish. Badger's web site says they don't need to be lapped because they are serialized and leave the factory without needing to be corrected if used on a straight base like their Badger base and I'm assuming NF, etc. I read here though that many of you are still lapping them. I also read here that NightForce has some kind of warranty requirement for lapping the tube??

Next, on to reaming. I have a set of Leupold Quick Release rings and bases on my .338 and my smith reamed them instead of lapping them. That is, he laid a reaming bar in the rings and screwed the tops down over top and turned the reaming bar inside the rings. He screwed the tops down progressively tight as he went. The ring halves touch together flat and I wondered if they held the tube down tight enough. This rifle never shot consistent groups and I wasn't happy with it. Then one day, the lever on the base at the rear went bad. You could spin it right aorund and it wouldn't stay tight. When I took it apart, I also notice that the inside of the silver rings were rusty (more so on the bottom) where the metal had been reamed away. The silver scope finish stained with a rust color. I called Leupold and they sent me one new rear base and two new ring bottoms only. I wasn't all that happy since I had lost my reaming job, but I threw it together and took it outside to shoot it. It shot way better than it ever had before. It now shoots real well, but I've always planned to take those rings and bases and chuck them in a ditch someday and replace them with Burris.

I guess I'm looking for advice on which base and rings combo to go with, and whether to ream, lap, or buy badgers and install them as is. I'm not concerned with cost. I want something that won't damage the finish on my scope and will perform.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Sheldon; 08-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:02 PM

Re: Lapping, Reaming and Burris inserts

You can probably guess my opinion of Nightforce coupled with Burris.I'm putting the Leupold back on to the rifle untill I get new rings for the Nightforce.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

I use Badger rings on both of long range guns, and trust me mine needed lapped. They are very good rings. I have a set of Burris rings on a 308 that I shoot to 700 yards with 10 MOA inserts in them,and truly haven't had any trouble with them. I just trust the Badgers.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat
Old 02-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Sheldon,

The Badger rings don't need to be lapped if you ensure the base isn't flexed when you mount it to the receiver. Having the base bedded to the receiver will ensure this.

The trouble is that receivers are hand finished, and the specs have changed a slight bit over the years. This small difference in the bridges may not even be noticeable, but then again it could be enough of a difference to enduce a little arc in the base, which would put a high spot in the inside edge of one of your lower ring halves.

Though I don't think it's necessary to lap Badgers, I do it to ensure I'm not getting any undue pressure on the scope tube.

As far as the reamer in the old rings. I don't see how those rings could have possibly have held the scope in place. I'd never do that to any of my rings.

FatBoy...
Old 02-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Fatboy.

So are you saying that you consider reaming rings a bad practice?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:11 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 02-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

I put Leopold QD rings on my NF and would get the Badger or NF ring if I could do it over. I ended up with the older ones that use the screw as the recoil lug unlike the new ones. I will upgrade them ASAP but for now they are working fine. I wanted more than two screws in them so that's why I never bought the Burris rings. Now that I see Frank having problems with his, I will watch the ones on my 416wby more closely for sure. It will get new Badgers down the road too.

Lap lowers only, no reason to ream, and it could be bad too.

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]