Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Kowa spotting scope, what size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Kowa spotting scope, what size?

looking for feedback on the Kowa Prominar 88 vs the 77. How much difference and is the 88 worth the extra weight & money?

any other feedback is appreciated!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Kowa spotting scope, what size?

What do you plan on using it for and at what distances?

joseph
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

In the field I use my Swarovski 15x56 binos most of the time so this would be for distances past what I can see with them. I also have a minox spotter in 62 ED but it doesn't have much more range than the binos using the adjustable eye piece.

I am in AZ and after about 600-800 yds for Coues deer, javalina, prairie dogs, and antelope (if I ever get drawn) it is hard to pick up a lot of details with what I currently have. That doesn't sound that far but we have a lot of days where mirage is an issue due to how much our temperatures swing and being in the desert or plains areas.

I also want to spend a lot more time shooting past 500yds and need to see targets/hits.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdinaz View Post
looking for feedback on the Kowa Prominar 88 vs the 77. How much difference and is the 88 worth the extra weight & money?

any other feedback is appreciated!
I have an 82mm strait eyepiced one, and it's really nice. Down side is that it's a little heavy and long. I use the 27X eyepiece, and just love it. Does the 88 have the flourite coated lenses? Mine does not, and really can't see all that much difference
gary
Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdinaz View Post
In the field I use my Swarovski 15x56 binos most of the time so this would be for distances past what I can see with them. I also have a minox spotter in 62 ED but it doesn't have much more range than the binos using the adjustable eye piece.

I am in AZ and after about 600-800 yds for Coues deer, javalina, prairie dogs, and antelope (if I ever get drawn) it is hard to pick up a lot of details with what I currently have. That doesn't sound that far but we have a lot of days where mirage is an issue due to how much our temperatures swing and being in the desert or plains areas.

I also want to spend a lot more time shooting past 500yds and need to see targets/hits.
I can pick out the head of a pop rivit at about 375 yards on a bright and sunny day. Very little if any mirage in the noon time sun light. Probably going to pick up a 45X eyepiece or at least a 20x-60x this year.
gary
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the feebdack!

The reference on seeing a pop-rivet is a good one i dont beleive my Minox could do that. it was a good scope 8 years ago when I bought it but doesnt compare to what I have looked at now.

I was looking at the TSN-773 and TSN-883 which are the XD with the flourite. I am not sure how much the flourite makes a difference there seem to be as many opinions on it being better as those that say it doesnt matter much. The price is a big difference so I need to look at them.

Testing optics at a store is pretty tough, sportsmans is better than most since they have resolving charts in the building but there is not enough range for spotting scopes to test so I usually find as many reviews as I can from here and the bird watching sites. In my area I am still shocked everytime I go to Bass Pro or Cabela's and most of them do not know what a resolving chart is and still want me to buy from them. You would think they would hire one of the kids from one of the camera stores and let him run the department, the camera guys always seem to know this stuff really well.

Sorry to get off topic, recent experience has again caused frustration.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Bronze Member

From my understanding the Kowa model 884 and 883 ( same scope, one model is angled the other is straight)is the best on the market right now.