Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Kirby, Shawn C. or anyone with a Swaro LRF - Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, Shawn C. or anyone with a Swaro LRF - Question?

Have you guys, or anyone that has a Swaro LRF been able to range anything at or beyond 2000 yards?

Last night when I was coming out from shooting I stopped and glassed two bunches of elk. The sun was below the horizon where I was, but everything was still well lit.

The back group ranged at 1987 yards and was repeatable from 1986 to 1988 yards.

The front group was only about 1650 yards and ranged easily.

Just in front of the back group a rock outcropping was ranged at 1965 and just behind them was another rock outcropping that I guessed to be 30-50 yards beyond them. No matter what I did I couldnít get a ranging on the back rocks but could on the elk and the front rock. I know rocks and the angle and condition of the reflected surface make a difference in ranging but all of the rocks seemed quite similar.

This is the farthest I have been able to successfully range animals and will admit that the conditions were good but so far, no matter how hard I try, I canít range anything at or beyond 2000 yards. Maybe thatís the limit of the Swaro unit.

Any body have theirs go to 2000 or more?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:05 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Kirby, Shawn C. or anyone with a Swaro LRF - Question?

I've got a Leica 1200 scan for sale in the classifieds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

This post just confirms that I've got to get a Swaro.
When we tested one the other day we got a reading of about 1700 yd on a house. I don't think we really tried anything further. These things are amazing!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Bill Bailey:

Elk are a little bigger than PDís but the Swaro is still a fantastic unit.

The elk I ranged were in good shape, fat, slick and shiny and they ranged great. Later in the year during hunting season I doubt it would be the same.

If you get one Iím sure you will love it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ss7mm,

I have mine reading in meters to match up with my Wild optical rangefinder when I was getting that set up and calibrated so I could compare between the two.

Farthest I have gotten consistant readings was while rock chuck hunting and I got several reading inthe 1850 to 1868 meter range. Roughly 2035 to 2055 yards if I am doing my conversion correctly. This was on grassy hillsides that were very steep angles in relationship to my ranging position.

The sun was still in the sky though and it was clear out!!!

It did not do this another time I was out but it was very intense sun then but she would still get 1700 meters plus consistantly on bare hill sides.

This is an impressive ranging tool. Well worth the extra money, in fact, having played with mine quite a bit, I would now be willing to pay four digits to get one. They are that good.

Shawn C. was right on the money on his recommendation, which is nothing unusual, the man knows his S___!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Sponsor

I have gotten ranges in yards of just over 2000 with mine 2018 on a grey rock across a canyon it is about 4' in diameter. I will let you know how the lead flying goes. I have a couple of customers that have gotten in the low 2000's but nothing out to or past 2100 in perfect conditions even. I think that 2000 is about the top of the teeth. I wasn't kidding when I said they are on a planet all by themselves for right now. I agree with Kirby having had one now for a while I would pay 4 digits for one if I had to.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 07-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn:

Thanks for the reply. At least I now know that the unit is capable of displaying 2000 plus yards. I thought maybe they had limited it for some reasom.

I also agree with you guys about the price. Initially I thought it was a little high, but now that I have one I also would gladly pay more than I did to have one.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

I got 1834m (2005yds) first time out hand held with a new battery and new Swaro LRF yesterday. That was on tree trunks on a dull day. I am very happy with mine.

David.