Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

kahles vs leupold vs nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: kahles vs leupold vs nikon

In my veiw the Nikon is the best for the buck easily. Probably get a better resale out of the Leopold and a faster sale too if you ever plan to sell it. The Kahles will cost more and sell for more later and is gaining a good name, I've never used one though.

The Nikon and the Leopold I have are indistinguishable to look through for me, the Leopld has a tad more eye relief though. For me I don't think the Leopld is worth the extra cash, it just doesn't offer anything more. I won't sell my Nikon.

One thing you can do with the Leopold is get target turrets put on it and change the reticle down the road, don't think you can on the Nikon. They can make it parallax free at whatever range you want too. At 700 yards mine is getting a little parallax but not bad, at 800-1000 it's getting worse. The adjustable objective on my Nikon cures any problem here, although it has to be above the 500 yard setting to get rid of it all at 100 yards and pretty close to infinity at 800 yards. It doesn't affect the focus so I leave it on the upper end.

Hope that helps you a little.

What rifle/caliber are you eyeballing?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Youngster, you asked "i have 2 more questions what are turrets and what is the adjustible reticle and whatd does it allow the shooter to do."?

First, the turrets are the knobs that you use to adjust your point of impact to match your point of aim. Typical scopes have them under a set of screw off caps to protect them from inadvertant adjustant and dirt. This is fine for short ranges where you adjust your scope at the range and leave it. Most folks around here use "target" turrets because they are externally adjustable, no caps and bigger knobs for finger adjustment. This is so that you can adjust your scope for the distance thar you are shooting and still hold the cross hairs where you want to hit and not use "hold over". This means you need to know how much to adjust the scope based on distance, weather, bullet shape and muzzle velocity. I suggest you read the book "Ultimate Sniper" for how to develop a "come up" chart for doing this.

Second question about "adjustable reticle", I believe you are referring to "adjustable objective". This is a feature built on most better scopes. Usually it is done by twisting the front end of the scope. Some have a third turret on the left side of the scope that is easier to adjust while in a shooting position. I don't know the mechanics of the insides, but basically it allows you to focus the scope at different ranges and to make the reticle (cross hairs) centered in the scope. If you don't have this feature, or if it hasn't been adjusted for the distance you are shooting, you will notice that as you move your head slightly the cross hairs will seem to move on your target. If it is adjusted propperly moving your head but not the gun will keep the cross hairs stationary on the target. Without it you must get your head into exactly the same position on the stock every time to hit the target the same every time. This is especially important when hunting and you find yourself in some unusual positions to make the shot.

Hope this is helpful.
Rick
Old 12-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

I've got target turrets on a couple loopys and a Nikon monarch, they also have covers, what do you do leave the covers off?
JS
Old 12-14-2002, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

My covers stay on until I'm set up somewhere. I don't leave them off hiking through the woods for the simple reason if the "zero tab" gets brushed on something and moved and I don't notice it until much later, one might get screwed up and not be sure of the setting and have to rezero to be sure.

I have been to the range before out at 800 yards or so then went to shoot at 300yds days later and never got on target until I remembered I was over 15 moa already from the last time out and never set it back to my 100yd zero.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

I just have a Tasco with target knobs. The knobs are always open to adjustment. It also has a vernier scale so that once you zero at 100 you can loosen the knob and rotate it so that it's zero mark lines up with the line running along the axis of the turret. Then you can record on your come-up card how many witness marks are exposed below the knob. If you ever get lost on you adjustments you can quickly come back to your 100 yard zero point. If you are familiar with a micrometer that has a vernier scale for reading to 1/10000 inch this may make sence, otherwise I hope It wasn't too comfusing. It really is a very easy and pretty foolproof system.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:39 PM

I own the Kahles 3-9 AH with TDS. The Kahles is quite bright and the TDS works very well, but if you want you could buy a Swarovski and pay 2x as much for the same thing...

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Davo ]