Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Just out of curiosity...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Just out of curiosity...

If optic companies are starting to finally offer 10 mils per rotation on their elevation turrets...why are they so far lagging behind in offering similar adjustment for the MOA shooters?

I've seen the 25 MOA turrets on the Vortex Razor HD with the EBR-2B (MOA) but very few others offer more than 20 min per revolution, and that's on the high speed models.

Anyone got opinions?

MOA is a 1/4 based system, so I could understand a 25 MOA turret, the problem could be that it's not as easy to add 25 + 13 if you were cranked up on your 2nd rotation...but having a secondary set of numbers would fix this, as does the addition of zero stop.

Is a 10 and 20 MOA turret so much easier than a 25 or 30 MOA turret?

What say you?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just out of curiosity...

Maybe its because they make scopes for the MAJORITY of shooters and not the FEW that practice extreme long range stuff!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Maybe its because they make scopes for the MAJORITY of shooters and not the FEW that practice extreme long range stuff!!!
That's true, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The optics that are designed for the "majority" are designed with capped turrets, because most hunters don't dial for elevation anyway.

What I'm talking about, are the optics that are already designed for the LR, ELR, Tactical,Target, Match, Precision Hunting, shooters.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
because most hunters don't dial for elevation anyway.
Most LR big game hunters I am associated with dial for elevation with uncapped turrets. I prefer the 20 MOA turret. IMO I see no advantage of a 15 or 25 MOA turret over the 20.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Most LR big game hunters I am associated with dial for elevation with uncapped turrets. I prefer the 20 MOA turret. IMO I see no advantage of a 15 or 25 MOA turret over the 20.

Most of my fellow shooters do as well, but in the grand scheme of all big game hunters in the nation...we are a VERY small percentage.

I'm not talking about 15 or 25 MOA turrets specifically...I'm asking why, if 10 Mil turrets exist...why no 30 MOA turrets exist?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
I'm asking why, if 10 Mil turrets exist...why no 30 MOA turrets exist?
I think it all comes to turret diameter. I feel the 20 moa turret on the NF scopes is nice, but the clicks and lines are very close together. To get to a 25 moa turret it would need to be large like the IOR 25 MOA turret. 30 MOA even larger.

The turrets with big MOA per revolution are nice, but so is being able to distinguish what line you are on easily. With counting up for ELR shots I prefer counting in 10's, so a 10, 20, 30 moa turret would be my choice. Then it is very easy to just go to the final number of the last rev. For instance, 20 moa turret, dialing for 2600 yards. Need 83 moa. 20, 40, 60, 80 and stop on 3.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I agree Jeff, makes it simpler. My vortex turret is 12 MOA per rev, i wonder who's great idea that was. Having said that, the 12 MOA per rev and the limited 65 MOA of adjustment are the only drawbacks of this scope i can find. But that is for another thread.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/