Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

IOR Valdada ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: IOR Valdada ?

RuffHewn

Regarding your comment concerning reverse recoil due to the mussel break, this is exactly why a spring powered air rifle can destroy many expensive centrefire scopes.

I wonder how long a top of the line air rifle scope would last on that rifle.

Rgds

Old 08-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Bronze Member

I too was interested in IOR scope because the optical quality. BUT, I heard the after sales support was very poor and scopes had to be sent back to the factory (Romania) for repair. This just scared me away from IOR. Does anyone have first hand experience with IOR warranty support? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[ 08-23-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]
Old 08-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

I bought a new IOR Valdada 2.5 - 10x42mm tactical about a yearago. Best optics I've ever had in a scope.

Now the not so good news. I had it mounted in a pair of Badger Ordrance rings which were hand lapped and torqued down to 20 inch pounds. When I took the scope out of the rings when I had my rifle rebarreled the rings pinched the tube. I sent the scope back to IOR and they told me to go pound sand. The scope function was not effected and they would not warranty the tube. They said if they could, they would have to send it over seas.

Bottom line, great optics but poor service. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 08-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Jeff,...with all due respect,..you damaged the scope, and no company I know of will replace a ring damaged tube. I am sure they would replace the tube if you were to offer to pay for it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

I didn't mention, but I should have, the scope tube diameter when it was measured was not 30mm, but 31.07 mm. I couldn't figure out how I would have pinched the tube and someone on another board suggested I measure the outside of the tube. That was the reason I sent it back in. I had used these same rings with two other scopes and never had any problems with them, though both were Leupolds. It was snug when it went into the rings, but I've never experienced that problem and never gave it another thought.

Anyhow, I got blown off by the IOR and they said since there was no internal damage the scope was fine. Bottom line, I'd like to have the ablitiy to get something fixed, without having to send it back to Europe.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

A little persistence and some bitching may get you a new one. Tell them that you didn't order a 31mm scope,..and you don't see why you should have to wait XX months to get it back from europe.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Just C,

Been there, done that and didn't get the t-shirt. I tried everything, dealing with them was very frustrating. There only response was that it would have to go over seas to be repaired, they wouldn't do it because the scope function was not effected and still functioned perfectly.

I love the scope as it beats all my Leup. hands down on the optics. Turrets are a bit small and suspect, but overall the MP-8 reticle is much easier than mil-dots. It's just very poof customer service which will be there biggest issue moving forward.