Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

IOR scope info needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

IOR scope info needed

I'm thinking I want to try out an IOR scope. I held one awhile back and liked what I saw but had nothing at the time to side by side with. Where are the best deals on an IOR scope? 2.5-10x42 or maybe 4-14x50. I don't really like the larger objectives but...How bout the mp8 reticle vs the mildot.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

Re: IOR scope info needed

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I want to try out an IOR scope. I held one awhile back and liked what I saw but had nothing at the time to side by side with. Where are the best deals on an IOR scope? 2.5-10x42 or maybe 4-14x50. I don't really like the larger objectives but...How bout the mp8 reticle vs the mildot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend Quality Optic's Jim Maloney as far as a dealer is concerned. He hangs out here from time to time.

Several on this board have owned and liked IOR's.

I recommend the 2.5-10x42 tactical.
I'm not real keen on IOR's hunting scopes. They are big, bulky and frankly the Zeiss Conquest eats it up. Not to mention several others.

But, the tactical models are where IOR really shines. Good solid adjustments, clear glass, tough.

May I ask what caliber of rifle you are concidering scoping with the IOR?
The reason I ask is because I did have some eye relief issues with mine while mounted on a .300 Win mag.

I really like the MP8! I like it better than the standard mil dot. Very user friendly, and not a "busy" reticle at all..sakofan..Look up Jim @ Quality Optics. He'll treat you right! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Sako fan - Thanks for the reply, I know <u>you</u> have addressed this in the past but I couldn't find a web address or email for Q-optics. The rifle is a 338 win mag and I am seriously considering a brake installation when it gets rebarreled this spring. That should help with eye relief problems. I was looking at the tacticle model 2.5-10x42. I have been a leupy fan for years mostly because of the warranty work they did for me in the past but want to try something with really good glass that I can afford (read can't afford swaro).The nikon, zeiss have caught my attention as well and the night force would be pretty hard to justify to the wife so I'm caught in the middle ground and want the best I can get for the money. I'm not looking for cheap just the best value. This will be a hunting rifle but I think I want a tacticle scope on top. The 1/2 mill clicks sounds like a good thing for come ups how are they to zero?(only dealt with 1/4 &amp; 1/8 in the past). I like the looks of the mp8 reticle as well. I hope this doesn't sound wishy-washy but its a tough decision when there are many trade-offs between the different scopes. I guess thats what causes all the discussion and soap boxing when scopes are mentioned.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

I have the 2.5-10x hunting version with 1/2 moa adjustments on my TRG-S in 338 Lapua.

Holds up quite well,although eye relief was close until I installed a better recoil pad. Seems IOR gives ER from the ocular, but does not take into account the adjustment bell extension which removes 3/8 inch relief. It can come to get you on larger rifles. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Zero was easy and the 1/2 moa turrets let me adjust to 1000 yards in a single 25 moa turn of the elevation.
May send it in to be fit with the -8 reticle for ranging and fast hold overs but so far I've not given up anything with the hunter model.

The only quirk found was that the parallax, while compensated for at ranges above 10 yards, will not allow use of 10x at 100 yards, which you'd only want for sight in anyway. On my scope 8x is max, and that's fine for the job at hand.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

I havent seen Q Optics on the boards for some time.
I think I have his personal email, and if you like I can try to contact him.

I'm not as hot on IOR's as I was. But, I think they are a great value!!
I like the FFP reticle when using a mil dot, MP8 or equivalent. Personal perference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
IOR has opted to go to more of a "American" style scope, ie RFP or non magnifing reticle. But, so is Night Force, Leupold and many others.

To get into the FFP reticle scopes, you are talking about names like US Optics, S&amp;B, Zeiss, etc...$$$$ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So like I stated, IOR is a great value in tactical scopes.

Jeff in Texas should get in this thread too, as he is an IORite.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...sakofan....
Old 12-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Sakofan,
If it ever gets here, SWFA is marketing a new unit for a company called Extreme Optics. 4-16x56 with target turrets and FFP mil dot. I did the alpha and beta unit testing. Ziess conquest won't come close ( assuming the production units match the engineering units) and the cost is $800.00.

Take a look at one when SWFA gets them into stock. Might be a good solution to the ffp selection issue.

Mike
Granbury (Hoodcounty)
Texas
Old 12-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Sakofan,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I was actually at Jim's house last week while on a business trip to KC. I was able to pick up my new SouthPaw DPMS 20" Bull Panther AR-15.

It's sporting a brand new IOR fixed 10X tactical with the MP-8 reticle. Very nice setup.

Anyhow Jim is still alive and kicking and will beat anyone's prices on IOR. He also handles US Optics scopes, but they're out of my price range.

Here's the link.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a happy and safe holiday season!
Quaitly Optics <font color="blue"> </font>

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!