Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Rather read your message

If you have the time I rather read your answer so I can reference it as I make my choice.I have the Bushnell elite 6500. I hate like crazy to admit it. But I think my 4x16x40MM Elite 4200 has a little bit better glass. I can see bullet holes easier with the later rather then the former. Was thinking of buying the 4.5 x30 Elite 6500. Having 2nd thoughts. I was just at the sales counter but looking through the conquest and then the NXS I felt the conquest look clearer.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?
I've just about shot the barrel outa my 6-284(bottom gun in pic) and the 6-24-35mm IOR scope has been there from the start without a single glich. The 16Xs have been on everthing from the HMR to the BMGs without any trouble.Come to think of it other than a couple of mounting issues the IORs have held up very well....Have yet to need any repairs.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?

Either the 6-24 or 3-18 SFP would work just fine out to 500 yards, as would the 4-14x50 or 2.5-10x42. You do not need FFP unless ranging objects at all magnifications is important to you (like competitive shooting).

I agree the Conquest has better optics than the NXS, and I also agree thae 4200 is better optically than the 6500. It's the other features on the 6500 that you pay for. Look at Bushnell's print on both scopes, especially how they discuss the optics, and you'll have your clues.

Scott
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOptics View Post
Please post how you did the turrets. I get questions all the time how to do what you did, with the quasi-BDC knob.
You know, I had written a whole big thing up on SH but it looks like theyíve deleted everything older than 9 months or so. :( Give me a bit and write up some instructions. Though notice the new ďcorrectly numberedĒ knobs have a slightly changed profile which will make it more of a pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katigroszek View Post
One more thing - according to other thread here it is rare to find the distance marks on the side paralax adjustment to be spot on. They rather tend to be off quite a lot. Was it the same with Your IOR?
Well, thereís only two distances listed along with a couple of dots. 100 and ∞. ∞ is right, 100 seems to be off a bit--when I shoot at 100 it looks like the knob is on ~70 or so. I suppose one could re-set the knob with a little screwdriver, but since the knob doesnít turn very far and it doesnít have many numbers, it doesnít matter to me at all. Iíll take a pic. On a knob that turns farther and has a bunch of numbers, itís more of an annoyance if theyíre off. I reset the one on my Falcon because I didnít like where they put the dot so I made my own dot and reset the knob. It has a bunch of numbers all the way around so itís nicer if theyíre at least close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshooter View Post
Although the IOR (Schott) glass is wonderful, I would choose durability over resolution any day of the week.
And of course few would disagree with that, but unfortunately itís not quite so easy. A comparable USO or S&B will cost twice as much. So thatís not really a fair comparison and itís simply not an option for many people. Nightforce scopes are great, but theyíre very different as well. If the features above are what you want and what you will enjoy using, you simply canít get them from Nightforce. So itís not just a matter of accepting the glass, itís accepting an entire scope that isnít what you want.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:44 PM
katigroszek

other options?

Can You point to any other scopes worth considering that would have those features:

-durable
-good glass
-mil recticle
-mil clicks
-target turrets
-paralax adjustment (not necceserily side, bell is OK)
-half the S&B price or so

?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Nightforce NSX?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOptics View Post
The SH FFP scopes are out of stock, so there is a wait yet again on any warranty claims. Val screwed the pooch on that one.
Well crap. Anybody got a S&B for sale? That's right ladies and gents, I've now broken my third.

So I guess there's your answer dbhunter. Unless mine was too early (#135) to have "the fix" implemented as well I simply can't recommend them for anything that kicks. What a shame.