Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katigroszek View Post
Can You tell me what is the lowest number of the "second batch" of the 3-18x42 scopes, that do not suffer from any known issues?
I don't think anybody really knows exactly. IIRC, Marc's was #109 and that's the highest number I know of to have a failure. My current one is 130 something which I believe was fairly early second batch, made in 2007.
Quote:
What exactly broke in those first batch scopes You've mentioned?
I think it was a washer that holds one of the lenses or something. All the failures had the same symptoms.
Quote:
More scope pics please! Especially magnification ring and eyepiece and turrets from different sides, mainly parallax adjustment! PLEASE!
Heh, OK. You asked for it!!!

I don't think I've taken a good one of the parallax adjustment but I could. One note on it, I find the parallax adjustment to work better/be easier to use than other sidefocus scopes I've used, including other IORs.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Jon,

Please post how you did the turrets. I get questions all the time how to do what you did, with the quasi-BDC knob.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah Jon, do tell.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

IOR

I have gotten to the point where I only want Nightforce, USO, and S&B. There are other optic brands I own, but they get little use or play. Presently I have one optic each from USO, NF, and SB.

NF is IMO the one that gives a lot of durability/performance/value for the dollar spent.

Now that I have these optics I don't want anything else, and I'mextremely happy I went the way I did.

Although the IOR (Schott) glass is wonderful, I would choose durability over resolution any day of the week.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 AM
katigroszek

Jon A - Thanks for the pics!
I've also noticed the change of the turret marks. Can You tell how it's done?

One more thing - according to other thread here it is rare to find the distance marks on the side paralax adjustment to be spot on. They rather tend to be off quite a lot. Was it the same with Your IOR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOptics View Post
[...]PS - katigroszek, better talk to me!
Scott, I hope You know of a way to buy a scope in the US and have it sent abroad ? Do You? I'm from Poland, and though PL is a NATO member and all but nevertheless most shops deny to send optics outside US due to some federal regulations. And I'm not a terrorist! I'm a lawyer - perhaps too close to a plain crook !?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Varmint/predator hunter

Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?
Got your message and will call you tomorrow. I was taking a fly casting class. Have a good evening.

Scott