Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Individual eye focus binos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Individual eye focus binos

We have the M19, M22 and the compact M24 binos. The only thing I like about them is the mil-reticle. And on some of the models the stadia lines aren't to any real standard length wise. So you have to check them.
I can't stand them because you have to focus both lenses separately. If you get them focused on one object and try to leave the focus alone your eyes seem to have to focus on objects at different ranges. This gives me eye fatigue and a headache pretty darn quick. That or you do have to keep adjusting the eye pieces separately at different ranges. Not something I wanna use for glassing for an extended period of time. I have a pair of not so expensive Zeiss that are fast focus and use them in the field instead, and they beat the pants off probably anything labeled Leupold, Burris, Bushnell or Nikon.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've used the IF Binoculars for probably nearly 20 years now. Absolutely love them!!

Leupold used to make them. My old Leupys are 10X40's. I bought some Steiners after that (10X50 NightHunters) and have used them too. I still have and use both and will never lend them out or sell them. A good friend has another version of the Steiners with IF and he is really happy with them too.

Once each eyepiece is set for your eyes.....you never have to focus them or turn a knob/diopter ever again (unless your eyes change). From 20 yds to Infinity, they are good to go!

Only thing is, when you do the original focusing, do it on something very distinct with shart edges and contrast, and do it at beyond 100 yds. Also, as previously stated, fine tune with both eyes open. Once that's done, leave them alone and enjoy them.

I can look through mine for hours and hours straight and never get any eye strain or headaches, I can honestly say they are pure pleasure to use.

I also have some regular binos and I do get eye strain with them. I always have to re-focus the center wheel for distance and everytime I do that, it seems the diopter needs changed one way or the other some too. My regular focus ones are also Leupold and Steiner. I've even looked through some swarovski bino and still felt that something wasn't quite right with the normal focus/diopter. Maybe it's just my eyes, but give me IF anyday!

For me, these IF binos are like Jewel triggers, once I tried them I'll never go back. I don't know why Leupold ever quit making the ones they did, but at least Steiner is making them. Get em while you can and if you like em as well as I have, don't get rid of them, ever!! I'd give up one of my $6000 custom rifles before I'd give up either of my IF binoculars!

Last edited by SBruce; 09-04-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce,
That's a pretty hardcore post in favor of. You have me rethinking my stand with them. I have a pair of my own Fuji M24's sitting right here in front of me that I'ma go give another chance. Maybe my eyes have a hard time with the reticle in them. I'm not sure about all Steiners, but does yours have a reticle?

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

For me, these IF binos are like Jewel triggers, once I tried them I'll never go back. I don't know why Leupold ever quit making the ones they did, but at least Steiner is making them. Get em while you can and if you like em as well as I have, don't get rid of them, ever!! I'd give up one of my $6000 custom rifles before I'd give up either of my IF binoculars!

I agree with SBruce mine are Leupold and I love them. Never have to re focus from one view to the next.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Bruce,
That's a pretty hardcore post in favor of. You have me rethinking my stand with them. I have a pair of my own Fuji M24's sitting right here in front of me that I'ma go give another chance. Maybe my eyes have a hard time with the reticle in them. I'm not sure about all Steiners, but does yours have a reticle?
Yea, I feel real strongly about the IF's. I still mostly use the Leupolds, but the Steiners are better in really low light. Main reason I bought the Steiners was because Leupold quit making the IF's and I wanted a backup, just in case I ever broke or lost the Leupolds.

I have no knowledge about the Fuji brand. I've never heard of them before.?
What's the price range? The Steiners I've got were about $950 in 2003.

No, I don't have any reticle in either of my IF Binos. I believe Steiner did make some military/marine models with a reticle though.

I once tried some "no focus" binos, there was nothing to focus anywhere. They were a cheap brand and I quickly tossed those. Headaches from Hell!!
The eyes have to do all the work with those.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I once tried some "no focus" binos, there was nothing to focus anywhere. They were a cheap brand and I quickly tossed those. Headaches from Hell!!
The eyes have to do all the work with those.
"No focus" binoculars work ok for young guys who don't need corrective lenses at relatively long distances. Yes they are fixed focus, nothing tricky and rely totally on your eye's ability to handle the focus. You can accomplish the same thing if you focus your IF or CF binoculars for the range you use them most (say 600 yards) then train yourself NOT to refocus when you look at things at other distances. Do your really need to count the flies on the butt of that doe at 50 yards? The amount of focus movement is proportional to the the difference of the reciprocals of the distance. For example Focusing from 50 to 100 yards take the same adjustment movement as focusing from 100 yards to infinity. Just avoid using binoculars at short range. If you're into bird watching or studying insects plan on focusing a lot.

Keep in mind that low F ratio binoculars have a shallower depth of field than high F ratio ones. For example, 7x50 binoculars will need more focusing for sharp images than 7x25's will. Sure the images on the 7x50 will allow you to see better in twilight but not the rest of the time. the 7x25s are about 1/3 the weight making them much more pleasant to carry. My favorite carry binoculars are 10x35s. I own 7x50 and 20x70's but I rarely carry them outside of my dooryard.

As far as sharing binoculars, don't. Better to give your shooting partners a decent pair for Christmas than to let them screw up your settings. When they hand the binoculars back is when you'll need them set correctly the most. Murphy's law guarantees that. That's equally true for riflescopes, spotting scopes, and night vision scopes.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 09-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

The IF I have are not high dollar. About as much as Nikon Monarch. They have decent glass in them. I believe it may be the mil ranging reticle throws me off some. I messed with them for a bit today and it makes me feel cross eyed after a while compared to my fast focus. As do all our issued binos.