Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Individual eye focus binos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Individual eye focus binos

I have never used them, are individual eye focus binos easier to use? Do you set them once, or are you constantly refocusing 2 seperate focus knobs all day? I have looked at some of the scientific reviews and some of the porro prism with individual eye focus had pristine results.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Re: Individual eye focus binos

The only pair I ever used were very simple to get set up. You simply focus each eyepiece on the same distant object and you're set. After that point you can view anything you want from 20 or 30 yards to infinity.

I found it necessary to do a few little adjustments to the focus, once both eyes were open, to avoid getting headaches having to do with my eye dominance. Once I got it set how I wanted it (took about 2 minutes) I used them the rest of the weekend and absolutely loved them.

The only downfall I see to them is if you lend someone your binoculars they are going to try and adjust them so they can see and it will mean you have to refocus them.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

^^^^ yes that is what I thought, this would ideal for hunting, as now I am spinning that focus wheel all day long. The Fujinon and Steiner individual eye focus porros have incredible results from light transmission test and have been rated at the top of the list. I think I'll try a pair. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Why would you focus both eyepieces? On mine I close my rt eye and adjust the main
knob to focus my left eye on a target, then I close my left eye and adjust the right
diopter into focus on the same object. Both are now in focus as said below.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Why would you focus both eyepieces? On mine I close my rt eye and adjust the main
knob to focus my left eye on a target, then I close my left eye and adjust the right
diopter into focus on the same object. Both are now in focus as said below.
I understand, and they are set permanently no more focusing unlike binos with central focus. Sounds like a much nicer way to go than with central focus.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_freeman View Post
I understand, and they are set permanently no more focusing unlike binos with central focus. Sounds like a much nicer way to go than with central focus.
In all honesty if you adjust a center focus pair of binoculars like Loner mentioned to do you should have the same results. I've found that the cheaper the binocular and the more high powered a binocular gets the smaller their optimum focus range is. On cheap binoculars I find myself refocusing the image all the time but on my Cabela's Euros I'm good from about 30 yards to infinity. I had a pair of Vortex Kaibabs (I miss them so much!) that I could set from about 50 yards to infinity but with the higher magnification I found I could do slight focusing adjustments to get a clearer picture in certain lighting conditions.

I think you will be happy with whatever route you go, just don't buy the individual eye focus binoculars thinking they are the only kind that have a large optimum focus zone.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

I still use the center focus all the time. It's just the diopter adjustment on the rt
side adjusts them for my eye differences, at whatever range I focus on. But like
has been said you set it once or until someone else screws with it.