Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I'm about to just plain buy a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I'm about to just plain buy a scope

That's a hard question to answer. If I weren't such a layman, I'd know what I could spend to get the most bang for the buck. I will, however, say that I don't feel comfortable dropping more than $800 on a scope that surely, for me, is certain to be a gamble. Is 2nd fp going to be different on 13 power vs. 19 or 20? I really like the Leupold "pyramid" style BDC but I don't know that, in my neophyte condition, it's worth the extra cash. To what scopes are you referring? I really am trying to learn something here. Yall are helping me out more than you can even imagine.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Ok. I don't like the BDC reticle in the Vortex either but I feel that anything is going to be a gamble. I "feel" like i like Leupold's "pyramid" style BDC but at 3-400 more is it worth it when I don't know what to expect in the 1st place. My budget will allow up to $900-$1000 but, being frugal, I'd hate to guess wrong. I'm beginning, though, to think that there's no way around that. I'm planning on giving the whole Eastern Montana Mule Deer thing a try this Nov. and if I can figure out the new scope on the 250, I'll be mounting a new, possibly adj. turret, scope on the .270. Talk about jumping in with both feet. Ahhhhhhh.........
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

My computer is acting up. Sorry for the "duplicate" posts.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

What rifle is the 22/250 ? For the $$$$$ you mentioned you can get a very nice scope. I just bought a Zeiss HD5 5x25x50 1" tube scope and because the rifle its mounted on now is going back to gun smith I'll be mounting that on my 22/250. Bushnell elites are fine. Sightron S2 and S3 are very good. Burris signature scopes are very good. But I'm partial to my Zeiss HD5 . I also have a Weaver tactical FFP reticule its glass gives up very little to my Zeiss HD5. Some guys love the Vortexs .. What power range do you want. What will you use this rifle for ?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Second focal plain means the reticle stays the same size but the size of your target changes as you zoom in or out so the spacing of the reticle's bdc will change whereas a first focal plain means the reticle will shrink or expand as you zoom to keep the spacing of the bdc the same in relation to the target at all powers. There is always "a better one" but I think the vortex is a good start. If you had enough experience to know exactly what you wanted I would always recommend spending as much as you can......but then again like I said earlier, the scope is the hardest equipment to get right first time out of the gait without knowing exactly what you like and how you will actually end up using it, that is more reticule hold over or dialing in.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

After all the bad things I've heard people say since I bought it, I'm a little embarrassed to say but it's a 700 VTR. I'm going to use it on Coyotes and other predators.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

People say allot of things, some good / some bad, some right / some wrong. The truth could be all of the above. Nothing to be embarrassed about and if you try it out you will KNOW for yourself what the truth is. Some are junk and the next one in the same rack might be Golden. Test it out, fix it if it needs fixing but don't be embarrassed.