Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I'm about to just plain buy a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

I'm about to just plain buy a scope

I have seriously made myself crazy in the last two weeks. I bought a 22-250 with the intentions of learning long distance shooting. I immediately started researching scopes and have decided that the only way to figure out what any of these articles and reviews are talking about is to just buy one. I mean, I understand the difference between 1st and 2nd focal plane. I get it. I understand the difference between MOA and MIL. However, these understandings of mine, are theoretical. I have NO IDEA which combination of these would be my best choice "out of the gate". I want to start coyote hunting and 5-600 yd shots could easily come about. My only scope experience is with my Leupold VX-II 3-9x40. It has a basic duplex reticle and is mounted on top of my 270. It's sighted in at 100yds. When a deer walks into a range where I feel comfortable, I put it on him and pull the trigger. I'm too uneducated on the subject of long range to even ask an intelligent question. Somebody give me some guidance! I can't let this rifle sit here "unscoped" any longer!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: I'm about to just plain buy a scope

There sure are alot of choices out there! When I first started this, a friend who is a LE "sharpshooter" took me to the range and showed me everything about using target knobs with MOA adjustments. The scope was a Leupold vari-x II 6-18. I still like the "click" method with moa adjustments, but that's all I've ever used. In your situation, you might want a reticle like the Nikon BDC, cause the coyotes might not hang around long enough for you to adjust your knobs. Good luck, just pick something and start using it, you'll figure out what you like eventually!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

It is the hardest piece of equipment to get right the first time. Scope magnification should be simple based on your individual purpose and preference. ffp vs sfp is really a question of weather you plan on using the reticule or dialing and using a rang finder. In either case at some point you will find that "my ideal" scope for coyote hunting out to 5-600 yards sucks for you or vise a versa. It is impossible to say until you know what you love or hate. Keep it simple:#1 Some kind of reticle= mil dot, bdc or anything that has several reference points to at least decide weather that is useful to you, I like the basic mil dot. #2 Reliable tracking. #3 a warranty to assure you of a sound investment............................... Everything else is subjective, subject to individual preference and perspective. Scope make, glass quality, magnification, how much is too much, it is all individual. What have you decided on so far?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you both for the replies. What I'm thinking right now is a plain Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 w/ the BDC reticle. As I'm sure all of you know, its a 2nd focal plane scope. Everything I've read indicates that the "hash marks" are reliable at the magnification on which the scope was zeroed. Is this right? That worries me a little.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Vortex is a fairly safe bet in budget and reliability. The bdc reticle is not my first choice but the sub-tensions are listed on there website as are the magnification setting needed to be accurate spacing on the second focal plain. As far as what distances the hash marks will represent: it will depend on your load. The center of the cross hair will be zeroed at all magnifications just like your 3x9 or any other scope.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

How much can you spend ? Lot better scopes then vortex out there .
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

For a relatively inexpensive scope that you can use for varmints and learn how to use with turrets consider the Vortex Viper in 6.5-20x44 from CameraLandNY:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

$279 shipped with the V-plex reticle.
I've got one of these on my 257 Weatherby and really like it. No, it's not one of my Zeiss scopes but it is far better than you'd expect for the money and it works very, very well.