Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

I'm also looking for a new Tactical scope in the $1,000 range and last month found out about Vortex Optics. Then got some info from Scott at Liberty Optics that they are getting a new Tactical this winter with similar options as the NF. "I know it's not a NF" but if It can be as expected it should be awesome. I emailed them and they confirmed a new scope coming out for shot. Plus the seam to have a rock solid warranty which is a plus.

Vortex Optics - Riflescopes
Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

nothing works like competition to bring the best products to the public, at a fair price.
remember those 60s and 70s cars that rusted out before they were paid off?
think about that folks before it all goes away.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM

1K is still these days more than I would like to spend.
Back a few years ago when I was fitting barrels actions and bullets , I had 2 very keen shooters that I like very well.
1 was a FN commercial on a CM Shilen in 6mm Rem, with Walnut bench and all the bells and whistles to make it run right, everything but keeping it blue and walnut, topped w/ a Tasco 24X Japan.
The other was a 600 Rem. w/ #7 triggerguard , Shilen varmint weight SS, .220 swift w/ walnut Varmint wood w/ 36X Weaver form the same factory as the Tasco.
Had to friends that money was no problem, they bought the best and then sent them to the best tweakers, never working on their own.
Topped with only the best Leupold had to offer.
Both had their own private shooting ranges.
I was invited 3 times, took the FN all 3 times and left early 3 times.
It was hard for them to talk with all the crow feathers in their mouths.
Rifles were sent back to the tweakers, no sloppy fitting bolt action from WWII was ever going to beat thier money.
One day the Swift was rolling around in the back seat of my Blazer when one of them spied it.
he asked what I wanted for it, he was my friend and after thinking about it I said 750. He was my friend and I did not want to sell it but still gave him a low ball price.
He said he wanted to shoot it first. OK.
2 days later he shows up at my shop with gun and target in hand.
He shows me the target with 6 small holes you could almost cover with a dime.
He then told me he had only shot it the 6 ( with the rounds I gave him too).
Then he proceeded to kinda apologized for not shooting any better and offered to buy it at a lower price set by him , if I would take the Junkie Weaver off and I could keep it.
I giggled a little and put the gun with the scope still on it back in the seat of the Blazer and shut the door.
He is still my friend and I still have my swift and FN.
And they still haven't beat me.
The scopes are as good as you are confident with.
I also have Unertls, Weaver USA Targets , Redfield's, and new top line Burris's, never did own a Leupold and never will just because I beat them with "Junk" and sloppy fitting Mausers, and crappy old Remington's.
Ron
Old 06-06-2009, 04:30 PM

I also have a new 8x32 mildot Burris, I forget the line, w/ side focus that I bought last year still in the box,
I never mounted it because I belive the old one that is on the rifle now is just as good in vision and clarity.
Ron
Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

All scopes over 1k should have the reticle in the first focal plane. It drives me nut that nightforce is $1500 and still in second focal plane which makes the reticle a pain to use for holdover. In order for it to be effective it requires max power then that takes away less view of the field.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore View Post
All scopes over 1k should have the reticle in the first focal plane. It drives me nut that nightforce is $1500 and still in second focal plane which makes the reticle a pain to use for holdover. In order for it to be effective it requires max power then that takes away less view of the field.
I have a 5.5x22 NF and there are only two power settings that I use. 5.5 and 22. When in the field, I set my scope to 5.5. 5.5 power with the clarity and fine reticle of the NF is more than adequate for shooting game at 300-400 yds holding on, or on backbone. Outside 400 yds the power gets cranked up to 22 and the MOA holdover is as advertized.

Just me, but I see no need for FFP and actually prefer the second fp.

-MR
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Just curious, but after reading this interesting thread, no one recommended the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I had planned on getting one for a rifle I am planning to get put together and would be very interested in any relevant experience. The lower weight drew me to the Zeiss over the NF - its cheaper too <$1K. But I have no experience with this model. I do have a 3.5-10x44 that I have been very happy with.