Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

i would ask you to reread my original post and understand what i said. i didnt state what i thought was the better scope.
i certainly have no problem with someone buying whatever they want. ive owned the scopes i have, long before night force and some of the others even existed.
ive made the personal decision to stick with what i own for my use.
i pointed out what still works well for me. (not) as an example of what others should do.
however, i contend that there are many people out there who may be in a dilema over this issue.
it would be easy in my opinion, to get the impression that its necessary to spend large sums of money in order to aquire a good scope,thats suitable for what we do.
thats simply not the case.
there are plenty of scopes that can be bought for under $500,that are more than capable of doing the job.
at least untill after youve arrived, and can afford what you really want.
now as for the guy who brought up the boat issue.
it would be easy to spend $35.000 replacing a pair of large outboards.
i buy a new long ranger every time i fill the tanks.
but hell thats good for about 400 miles.
so you see, my scopes have to last.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Bronze Member

Greetings...

Re. Yobuck's response.

Thank you for the insightful response,
I think sometimes we slip off the subject easiliy here.
Your opinion has brought some levity for me.
I was wondering?
Is there such a thing as being...
Over scoped?
Over gunned?
Optic's seem to be approaching, or now cost more than custom made rifles,
I've been looking at the IOR delima,
damn, I liked the looks of that scope.
Night Force soon with there FFP?
...features of the new Premier, Wow.
Then...
always, Pete Lincoln coming in with Schmidt & Bender,
surely I trust his judgement!!
Lest we should forget...now the Marines,
choosing Schmidt & Bender too!
Choices...
such is the sport we chose!
I am also looking for a new scope...
But, damn...three grand!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

I have gone to the USO scopes and a SN3 built to your specs will be less than that.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

For $1000 your best bet is a Lupy Mark 4 or a used NF if you can get one for that price. Any top end scope from other manufacturers (Sightron, Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, Zeiss, Trijicon) for less money will get the job done if the scope meets your requirements. Do you have to spend $1K? Heck no. Do you have to get top quality? I say yes. You guys are putting together high zoot, flat shooting rifles for long range hunting. Your rifle is only capable of reaching its intrinsic accuracy with a scope that performs just as well. It must hold zero, must track, the reticle subtensions must be true, it must be waterproof/fogproof, it must have good enough glass to positively ID and zero in on your target. It must be rugged enough to hold up to real use. Otherwise, you've got nothing.

Like all other optics, get the best quality you can afford that meets your requirements. Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. A scope is a gunsight, and hitting your target is the only goal.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
ive never missed a shot because of the age of my scope, or the fact that it isnt up to nightforce standards.
I haven't MISSED, but I've declined to take shots when I had a poor sight picture due to low light, or couldn't quite get the right holdover. Since I sucked it up and upgraded to a great scope (with a painful price tag), I haven't had that problem. S&B glass and a user-friendly FFP reticle have taken away my last equipment-related excuses. Now I only pass on a shot because I think the shooter isn't capable, not the equipment.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
I haven't MISSED, but I've declined to take shots when I had a poor sight picture due to low light, or couldn't quite get the right holdover. Since I sucked it up and upgraded to a great scope (with a painful price tag), I haven't had that problem. S&B glass and a user-friendly FFP reticle have taken away my last equipment-related excuses. Now I only pass on a shot because I think the shooter isn't capable, not the equipment.

100% agree---in fact my USO and S&B tubes have helped me put animals on the ground that the old tubes just can't do because of inferior coatings.

Example----from an elevated position take a NEW loopy scope and while facing the west sky after the sun has set (last 10-15 minutes or so of hunting) and point down into a darkened field. What you will see is where the light is refracting off of the objective and the ambient light is bleeding thru preventing you from seeing clearly (it will look like a light fog) into the dark field.

Now try this with a USO, S&B or a VMV and it is clear as a bell---This Exact Scenario cost me one of the biggest Deer I have ever seen at the ranch! Very frustrating to be able to see with your eyes but not with your scope! That was the end of trying to go cheap on glass.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoEMike View Post
Greetings...

Re. Yobuck's response.

Thank you for the insightful response,
I think sometimes we slip off the subject easiliy here.
Your opinion has brought some levity for me.
I was wondering?
Is there such a thing as being...
Over scoped?
Over gunned?
Optic's seem to be approaching, or now cost more than custom made rifles,
I've been looking at the IOR delima,
damn, I liked the looks of that scope.
Night Force soon with there FFP?
...features of the new Premier, Wow.
Then...
always, Pete Lincoln coming in with Schmidt & Bender,
surely I trust his judgement!!
Lest we should forget...now the Marines,
choosing Schmidt & Bender too!
Choices...
such is the sport we chose!
I am also looking for a new scope...
But, damn...three grand!!!!!!!!!
i dont think you can be over scoped or over gunned.
if you like it and can afford it, why not. life is short, (trust me on that).
we could spend our money on far worse things than quality guns and optics.
you mention the marines, and schmidt & bender. i believe premier is involved in that, but not positive. im sure that is a top quality setup.
but remember, the taxpayers are footing the bill for those things. so its monopoly money, cost means nothing.
do you remember a guy named whitefeather? i believe you will find he was also very successful as a sniper.
he didnt have a schmidt & bender, or a night force either.
i believe you'll find he used a unertle. which today, would also be considered obsolete.
i wouldnt tell whitefeather that though.
i wouldnt tell it to those old guys in pa. still using them for hunting either.