Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

The Nightforce is worth the money. The Leupold will do the job and will do it well. Once you go Nightforce you will see why. I use Leupold, Nightforce, S&B, and USO my long-range setups. I also use a Bushnell 3200 3.5-15x44mm Tactical scope on 10/22.

Mike @ CSGW
Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

i certainly dont intend to start a ******* contest over scopes. i hope my comments arent taken in that context.
i am familiar with all the scopes mentioned, except the sightron and the 3200. ive used all of them also.
i wouldnt disagree with any of the comments.
i guess my question is, does anybody except me, think $1000 is still alot of money for many of us to spend for a scope?
especially when it gets such limited use by most of us?
hell many of the scopes cost more than the guns they sit on.
isnt anybody restricted by what they can or at least should spend on this stuff?
if there are, whats their alternative?
i can say what works for me, and others i know also.
i have 4 rifles i use for long range hunting. all have custom barrels and chambers. one is a heavy bench type on a custom action.
3 of the scopes are older 40mm leupolds ive owned since new. all are at least 20 years old.
the other is an old bausch & lomb 6x24 with a kuharsky micrometer.
they all still work flawlessly.
ive never missed a shot because of the age of my scope, or the fact that it isnt up to nightforce standards.
all of my scopes combined, wouldnt be worth the cost of 1 nightforce.
mind you, im not reccomending you not buy a nightforce. or any other for that matter.
but for any out there concerned by what you spend on this stuff, take heart. the older stuff still works just fine.
and theres tons of it for sale on ebay. if it dosent have target knobs, not to worry, they can be added.
sure the new scopes have advantages over the older ones. but conditions have to be pretty bad before your shut down because of the scope.
you'l never be stuck with a good used leupold.
sort of like buying a good low milage used car.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

yobuck, yes it is alot of money but it is all in what you do. You buy a boat new or used the quality of a NF scope you will be paying I am sure $25-35,000 used probably $35-50,000 new. I can build alot of guns for that. Do you see many used NF on ebay?

There is one bad thing about Night Force, once you get one you will want them on all of your rifles;).

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

I guess my thought is that I am finally in a position financially to afford the high dollar scopes. As long as I've been working, $200 was about the upper limit on optics for me so I'd hunt down used Leupolds. Now, I want to see what I've been missing all these years. I might hold out for a Nightforce.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

I once was a "Leupold Only" guy, and I have to say that if you're not going with NightForce, don't overlook the new Sightron SIII. I just purchased one, even with a little hesitation because no one (locally) had them in stock for me to evaluate.......and man they are clear, have very nice turrets and a 30mm tube. Absolutely no regrets.

Do some searching around on other sites as well and you will see those who have them, love them.

Price is very good, also. I chose the 6-24X50 at $715 to my door.

Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SIII Series - SIII SS 6-24x50 LR D
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Bronze Member

i would by a millet tactical awsome scope for the money
Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Have had bad luck with the Loopy's over the last 30 years or so --- run to the NF! Loopy is a good mid line optic but they have too many problems for me (have had many failures over the years plus the glass is just so so). I use the NF on my competition rifles but not for sporters. USO, S&B Zenith, PMII's and a few VMV series are what I use. More money but cry once and it is over with plus never a problem with any of those.

Just my opinion for whatever it is worth.