Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I seek opinions on nightforce options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: I seek opinions on nightforce options

I've been looking at Nightforce too, and have a question about rings. I was looking at the Burris Signature ZEE rings, would theybe appropriate for use with a NXS?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiltz View Post
I ordered it from allnightforce.com, they had the same deal everyone else had with the free shipping and no tax.

Broz they are the bases that you mentioned. I will get the correct base, and rings in the very near future. I just want to keep my better half happy for now, she's unhappy with my "frivolous" hobby as it is.
Just an FYI, Bob Beck, Site Sponsor, has nightforce with free shipping, box of Berger bullets, and a free T shirt from the EOL store. Extreme Outer Limits TV | Hosted By Bob and Chris Beck | Your Long Range Authority

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
I've been looking at Nightforce too, and have a question about rings. I was looking at the Burris Signature ZEE rings, would theybe appropriate for use with a NXS?
Why not just order a NF rail and a set of NF ultra light rings to go with it. I feel it is money well spent and if you have ever seen anything NF sell used they retain their value very well. The best scope in the world not mounted this good quality rings and bases is not as good as it could be.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Why not just order a NF rail and a set of NF ultra light rings to go with it. I feel it is money well spent and if you have ever seen anything NF sell used they retain their value very well. The best scope in the world not mounted this good quality rings and bases is not as good as it could be.

Jeff
Thanks, I'll start looking more at the Nightforce rings

just one question, 1 piece or 2 piece base, does it matter?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Just an FYI, Bob Beck, Site Sponsor, has nightforce with free shipping, box of Berger bullets, and a free T shirt from the EOL store. Extreme Outer Limits TV | Hosted By Bob and Chris Beck | Your Long Range Authority

Thanks for the heads up. All Nightfoce was out of stock on them until next week so I just cancelled and ordered from Bob Beck. That is an awesome deal there.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
Thanks, I'll start looking more at the Nightforce rings

just one question, 1 piece or 2 piece base, does it matter?
I only use one piece rails. I like the added "bridge" of strength they add to the reciever and I feel they transfer less stress and flex to the scope tube under recoil.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. The NXS is a great investment. Remember this scope weighs in at just under 2 lbs. I like to mount them in a strong set up to hold zero correctly. To me that is a quality one piece rail base and quality rings. Not saying that the Leupold rings will not do it, but if they are the standard bases with the windage side screws on the rear base it is making me a little uncomfortable.

Jeff
I got my new scope today. It is heavy like you said. I took your advice on the bases and rings, and just ordered them from Nightforce. Solid base, and the titanium rings, Night force has some serious warnings on the box, and in the owners manual about using the bases and rings I was going to use. I believe that it could possibly void the warranty. It is a cool scope, and the glass is great. Thanks for your comments.

Mike