Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I seek opinions on nightforce options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I seek opinions on nightforce options

Woo Hoo! just ordered it with the zero stop and the MOAR reticle! This should be an awesome experience.

I kinda went cheap on the rings. The rifle already has the Leupold rings 1" and bases on it. So I just ordered the 30mm high Leupold rings for it. They should work for now. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiltz View Post
I kinda went cheap on the rings. The rifle already has the Leupold rings 1" and bases on it. So I just ordered the 30mm high Leupold rings for it. They should work for now. Thanks for your comments.
Congrats on your new purchase. The NXS is a great investment. Remember this scope weighs in at just under 2 lbs. I like to mount them in a strong set up to hold zero correctly. To me that is a quality one piece rail base and quality rings. Not saying that the Leupold rings will not do it, but if they are the standard bases with the windage side screws on the rear base it is making me a little uncomfortable.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Congrats on the NXS, I know you'll really like it, its a solid scope, as I had mentioned I have been really happy with mine. Also +1 on the mounts, its important to have things things strapped on solid as possible. Have fun my friend.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Woo Hoo! just ordered it with the zero stop and the MOAR reticle! This should be an awesome experience.

Where did you order the scope from?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. The NXS is a great investment. Remember this scope weighs in at just under 2 lbs. I like to mount them in a strong set up to hold zero correctly. To me that is a quality one piece rail base and quality rings. Not saying that the Leupold rings will not do it, but if they are the standard bases with the windage side screws on the rear base it is making me a little uncomfortable.

Jeff
I'm with Broz on this one! I went with a steel base and steel rings. I have seen some people use a steel base with aluminum rings or all aluminum base and aluminum rings. I like the fact steel is obviously stronger and will not be affected by temperature as much. Yes steel weighs more, but I'll sacrifice for the difference.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

I ordered it from allnightforce.com, they had the same deal everyone else had with the free shipping and no tax.

Broz they are the bases that you mentioned. I will get the correct base, and rings in the very near future. I just want to keep my better half happy for now, she's unhappy with my "frivolous" hobby as it is.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Broz they are the bases that you mentioned. I will get the correct base, and rings in the very near future. I just want to keep my better half happy for now, she's unhappy with my "frivolous" hobby as it is.
I have had the back windage screws break off from recoil. Keep an eye on them and their tightness.

As for the wife, here is some ammo for ya. Look up what it cost for the last "cut and color" at her favorite hair salon. Then tell her the rings and bases last a lifetime not 30 days.

Good luck

Jeff