Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I have scope issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

I have scope issues

It seems I have been studying which scope to by for my edge since before I even bought it 3 years ago and I need some help narrowing down the choices. Need a scope for this fall elk season so must purchas in next month or so.

Before I get to cryteria let me say I'm looking for a scope that will help me shoot accurate. By that I mean a scope that my eye seems to be drawn to the center of the cross hair almost naturaly forcing me to concentrate on hiting small targets at long range. TMR comes to mind here as I read the aim small miss small concept works really well with the small opening in the center of rectical. Like shooting 1" dots at 500 yrds. I feel a mill dot scope somehow has my eye looking all over the place at all the dots. FFP worrys me in that the rectical gets bigger as I up the power to shoot long range, how is the leupy ffp for this with the TMR since it is open I would not be covering up target correct?

My next concern is matched rectical with turrets mil/mil, moa/moa etc. I like the Leupold TMR yet how difficult is it to have a mil rectical and moa turrets? So naturally I'm dissapointed that they don't have mil adjustable turets (maybe they do but I read .5 mill adjustment is to small).

I don't think I will be doing alot of range finding with the rectical much, mostly a range finder so a np r1 would be to much clutter for me. The np r2 would be great yet my budget may just allow me to stretch to $1k so NXS would be out for a bit.

So what I'm looking for is at least 20x on top end power, 1/4 moa or comparable mil adjustment, no ilumination needed, able to dial for 1k+ yards with 20 moa base. Matched rectical and turrets would be nice.

My scare is to spend 1k now and have Leupold come out with mil turrets afterwords. What about getting a starter scope to practice with till either I can afford the best or leupy perfects their's? With this route the scopes that come to mind is WOTAC, Falcon, or Bushnell 4200. Say about the $400 range. I know the worst money spent is buying somthing you don't really want.

As far as buy one scope to last, I'm looking at Leupold with TMR or Sightron III. Don't know alot about the S3 yet though. What about the Bushnell 6500 4-30x tacitcal?

No need to reccamend the NXS 5.5x22 npr2, if I fall into anouther $600 I'll get it.

It seems I can find just a little somthing that gets me with all the scopes. Non of them are screaming out at me as the perfect one for me yet. Help!

Thanks, sorry for the long book.

BT
Old 06-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I have scope issues

my vote is for the Sightron 3, 6 x 24 power. most seem to think it's on par with the Nightforce. can be bought for under 800.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

I would go with the Sightron S3 in 6x24 with a single dot, not the mildot.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Thanks,

The S3 looks very promising. I like the idea of the 8-32x but they only offer it in dot rectical. Doesn't seem like a good big game hunting rectical.

Ruled out the Bushnell 6500 as it doesn't rate well against the others or even the 4200.

I find more negitive reviews about Leupold MK4s then I care to hear yet I like the looks of the TMR best.

Any thoughts on Weaver's New tactical scopes Super Slam I think? Supposed to be FFP in a 4-20x-50.

Thanks,

BT
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

True blue,

The sightron S3 is starting to stand out. I will be using this scope for elk, deer and rockchucks as well as shooting papper and steel. Could you elaborate why you like the dot over the mill dot? If the dot would work good for hunting would the 8-32x work? Looks like the only difference is 70moa addjustment vs. 100moa and only 2x power on the low end yet 8x more on the high side.

So how many would recommend the S3 over the MK4?

Thanks, I may be leaning towards the S3 now just need help with which rectical and which power?

BT
Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

You mentioned that you wanted a reticle that draws your eye to the center, and the single dot does that , more than the mildot reticle. Also, I don't like the mildot's per se, I would go with a scope with hashmarks before mildots. Since Sightron does not offer hashmarks , I recommended the single dot. That's all you really need when dialing elevation anyway.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Well I may be getting closer. Have decided against the higher power range scopes in the 30x range and will stick with the highest power range in the mid 20x.

I like the idea of hatch marks rather then mill dots too but I think I may eventually want some kind of dots/hash mark to use as back up for ranging or holds.

In the slight difference of glass quality that everyone is so focused on how many have really missed a shot because the light tranfer was only 92% vs. the best scope out there?

The S3s have great reviews all over the net but what good is it to me if I don't like the recticals?

Still torn between getting a practice scope of less $ untill the S3s have more rectical choices. For $325 I am seriously considering the WOTAC. I like the idead behind matched turrets and rectical and then waiting/ saving for the right scope to jump out at me.

My thinking could all change again tomorrow, but thanks for the help. Please keep it coming.

BT