Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I have norrowed to 3, please help.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

I have norrowed to 3, please help.....

Got my rifle put together and looks like I have about $1000 left for some glass. This rifle is a 7mmmWSM set up for long range hunting out to 1000 yrds.
Here is the 3 I've been looking at and could really use your suggestions before I shell out the rest of my budget.

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 w/target knobs
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 ( if I can find another for $1000)
Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50

Anyway......as you can see I'm wanting at least 20x on the high side. As usual I need one that tracks true and there will be a lot of turning going on!
Also if you dont mind, please include which reticle you would choose with the Zeiss if that is your choice.

Thanks everyone, I REALLY do apprecite all your input.

Last edited by JDJHNTR; 11-01-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added a 4th......
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: I have norrowed to 3, please help.....

I currently have a Viper PST 6-24x50 on my 300 RUM and I couldn't be happier. It replaced a Huskemaw 5-20x50. The glass in the Viper PST is better in my opinion, as is the reticle. I had a hard time getting into the dedicated turret concept of the Huskemaw.....I like to tinker too much and didn't want to be locked into 1 (or a couple) load(s) and having to buy a new turret for each load.

The Huskemaw was a decent scope, but for $1000 I'd do another Viper PST in a heartbeat.

--Ben
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

The PST is a very good scope you might also check out the Sightron Slll 6-24 it has 100MOA adjustment compared to 65 in the PST.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

I have Huskemaws mounted on my two 6.5x284 LR rigs for a few years with great success with several long range kills. While I prefer yardage calibrated turrets, I have also used them with the supplied MOA turret. The size, weight, glass quality, and most importantly, turret repeatability is excellent. It's one of the few scopes that I have used that didn't have to use a correction factor for the turret adjustments......nice benefit for long range shooting. You are right to focus on turret reliability. For LR shooting it's critical. Also, the parallax knob that has ranges scribed, are true to the actual range. The MOA windage reticle is also true to calibration at 20x. In my experience Huskemaw is one of the few manufacturers that pays attention to this detail. It saves time on an animal that isn't sticking around too long,or allows you to use the time to confirm distance and wind. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Zeiss 6.5-20...

If you are twisting for yardage then the straight duplex...Otherwise Id go with the 800 varmint and hold over for 1000. The 1000 varmint is just too busy for me
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Zeiss 6.5-20...

If you are twisting for yardage then the straight duplex...Otherwise Id go with the 800 varmint and hold over for 1000. The 1000 varmint is just too busy for me
What Sully2 said, except I'd click for any range for which time allowed. I'd also personally look through the 800 and 1000 reticles to personally determine "to busy or not"

Note that clicking will be more accurate than reticle or hold over. You would have both immediately available if the need appears. And it usually does.

I have a Z 6.5-5 with the heavy duplex. Would prefer a fine or any of the drop reticles. Got it on a good deal and it serves me very well.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

I vote for the conquest as well. I've owned the PST and currently shoot with the conquest. I wasn't impressed with the PST in terms of glass quality. When you start to get to edges of the PST's adjustment range, you start to get a cat eye effect. It's just the way the scope is designed. It has a bunch of bells and whistles if you're looking for that sort of thing, but optically I personally wasn't impressed.

I use the z-plex reticle with the TT. Just my preference. The RapidZ that is available might not work well with that caliber.

Check out their reticle calculator: Welcome to Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, LLC