Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

I understand it is less percise than clicking but right now I don't trust the turrets. I will not be shooting over 600 yards and the crosswire is zeroed at 300 now. this puts me at -2.5 mils at 600, and +1 mil at 100. I have in the past shot quite a bit of deer and coyotes out to 500 using holdover with standard duplex recticle. So I feel confident in using it to 600 with the dots.

I would really like to click in longer ranges, but I will have to test the repeatability of this scope further before I trust it to shoot out past 600. It is a possibility that the one click does not equal the 1/8 moa that its suposed to.

Wind is not as big a factor where I hunt, Usually the deer come out to the fields after the wind has died off in the evenings. I usually don't shoot long in a wind over 10mph. I just don't have enough experience with that yet.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer is no, but I think I can, up to a point. Deer sized target yes, coyote sized target a bit iffy. What is really happening for me is that the mil dot - hold over technique is the learning phase between plex cross hair and clicking ups and downs.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to say that holding-off is not a viable hunting procedure, but I do not believe that it can be as precise and precision is what we are after.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is viable for me as long as I stay w/in my limits and I know my limits. At the moment I'm confident out to about 760 but what if something appears at 1013. I'd better have the self discipline to get a little closer.

[ QUOTE ]
What if the wind is blowing, you are holding off for wind also, makes it tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always the deal breaker. Wind sux [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] but still skeer'd of clicking.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

I'm the same way. I apply the reticle to about 600 or so, and then it's onto clicks from there on out. I use an interpolative system for in between ranges just like the mil-dot guys, in tenths of each "stadia unit". Personally ithink one of the best ways to go is to use a plex reticle that has a decent MOA subtension to about 4-500 yds. to lower post tip, with a 1 stadia windage reference, and use clicks beyond the lower post's zero. If wind gets much more than the windage plex post tip's reference than it's blowing too hard anyways. It'd be a compromise between "ballistic" reticle, and clicking.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand it is less percise than clicking but right now I don't trust the turrets. I will not be shooting over 600 yards and the crosswire is zeroed at 300 now. this puts me at -2.5 mils at 600, and +1 mil at 100. I have in the past shot quite a bit of deer and coyotes out to 500 using holdover with standard duplex recticle. So I feel confident in using it to 600 with the dots.

I would really like to click in longer ranges, but I will have to test the repeatability of this scope further before I trust it to shoot out past 600. It is a possibility that the one click does not equal the 1/8 moa that its suposed to.

Wind is not as big a factor where I hunt, Usually the deer come out to the fields after the wind has died off in the evenings. I usually don't shoot long in a wind over 10mph. I just don't have enough experience with that yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowboy

Determine 100 yd. distance and put up a steel tape on a board on a horizontal or vertical line for checking your movements. You'll have to put the rifle in a "fixture" for doing this but this will give you a good idea for seeing what the movements are giving you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]