Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

I know this has been hashed here somewhere but I need quick confirmation, search was unproductive.

My weaver tacticals turrets are not very repeatable.

I'm going to use the mils and need some one to confirm my information, please.

The distance between crosswire and center of first dot is one mil.

center of dot to center of dot is one mil.

each dot is one quarter mil

distance between edge of dots is 3/4 mil.

Is this corect?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

I have weaver tactical 4.5-14.

Once I got it through my num-skull that I was shooting @ 200 and adjusting as if I were @ 100 things became repeatable.

On the dots: Don't bet the farm on this but my understanding is that each "dot" is 0.2 mils. 0.1 mil above and below the dot's center line.

Seems to work for me, w/limited shooting.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, which is usually the case.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Good enough?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Roy and 4ked, thanks for the replies, exactly what I was looking for. Mine would be Army style and looks like I had the quarter mil on the dot size wrong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Roy I have two of these scopes and haddent noticed a repeatability problem with the other one, but it also has not seen as much twisting as the one on my 260ai.

If I employ this mil-dot aiming and get used to it I may be better off for big game hunting. It may be quicker, and Kirby seems to be doing well with it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

You might get pretty good with it but I would have a hard time swallowing that it is quicker or as precise. A person might become quite efficient at it in fact but it seems that one would reach x level of proficiency but the cranking of knobs will bring that same person to a greater than x level of precision.

Pracice practice practice.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

The question is, can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency. Holding-off works but - it gets back to the question - can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency? If your scope is operating properly it will move the point of impact in quarter moa increments every time. I have shot hold-off a lot, last year I shot six deer with hold-offs and six with clicking. Got better hits and shot with more confidence with clicking. Not to say that holding-off is not a viable hunting procedure, but I do not believe that it can be as precise and precision is what we are after. What if the wind is blowing, you are holding off for wind also, makes it tough.
We make drop charts with a little drawing of the mildots and distances that they are "on" for. More info in the field the better.
Good luck with your decision, hopefully your scope turrets are OK and you can use both clicking and hold-offs as needed. I have heard a lot of good things about the Weaver tacticals, maybe if the turrets are boogered you should send it in for a fix.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Cowboy, I use my mils for a ballistic plex type reticle. One mil at 100 yds equals 3.6 inches. Using a ballistic run out and varifying in the field, it is easy to use your mil dots. Sighting in my rifle at say 275 yds, gives me a dead on hold to 300 yds.(6 inch impact area). If I'm 15 inces low at 400 yds, hold dead on with the first mil dot (3.6" times 4 equals 14.4 inches correction). Just remember to multiply the 3.6" times the yardage factor to find the value for each mil dot. Luckily my rifle is dead on to 300 yds, first dot at 400, second dot at 500, third dot at 600. Even I can remember this easy set up. Use it varmint hunting in the summer and its a snap come hunting season. Just remember that most mil dots are only correct at the maximum magnification of your scope (or a stated power). Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]